Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

[ Edited ]

The day that my school district encourages me to bring or use a fire arm in my classroom is the day I either look for a new job or new career.  However, I have had several co-workers who have openly spoken about their desire to get such policies here.

This past school year was the toughest, roughest group of students I've ever taught.  Lots of gang affiliations and there were several times that I didn't feel safe, but I still would never want to carry a weapon.  IMO it would have made a tough situation even worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This whole concept scares me to death.  My dear ex was a cop and he showed me how easily and how fast a strong man can take a gun from a woman.  For that reason, I've never owned one, although I have an "Expert Marksman" rating from my experience in the USAF. There's a good likelihood your gun could be used on YOU. 

This is a myth.

You used to see this all the time in old movies:  a scary, bad man would be approaching a woman; she would draw a pistol, and she would stand there until he takes it away from her.

I don't care how strong a man is; if you shoot him, he's going down.

He can't take a gun away from you without getting CLOSE to you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

This whole concept scares me to death.  My dear ex was a cop and he showed me how easily and how fast a strong man can take a gun from a woman.  For that reason, I've never owned one, although I have an "Expert Marksman" rating from my experience in the USAF. There's a good likelihood your gun could be used on YOU. 

This is a myth.

You used to see this all the time in old movies:  a scary, bad man would be approaching a woman; she would draw a pistol, and she would stand there until he takes it away from her.

I don't care how strong a man is; if you shoot him, he's going down.

He can't take a gun away from you without getting CLOSE to you.

True and if you are terrified enough to pull a gun, use it.

It's not meant to be a threat, a gun is meant to STOP a threat.

Even if these teachers decide to carry in a classroom or not, the wackos who want to hurt anyone at the school may think twice.

Most idiots do their dirty deeds on people who are sitting ducks--unprotected

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I'm with you all the way -  and I have no gun experience.  Even if I did, I just can't imagine guns spread among the classrooms in the schools where I worked. 

I started to teach just before paddling became a thing of the past in New York and I wasn't terribly comfortable the few times I saw that used.  We expect authority figures to be rational thinkers, but we all know that's just not always the case. The possibility of guns nearby is one more reason I'm happy to be retired!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a gun owner who holds permits to conceal and open carry, I find this 3 day training HORRIBLY lacking and dangerous.

IF you're going to do this, at LEAST make it what many of us gun owners support:

* 2 -3 weeks of classroom training plus a written test

* 2 weeks of range training with one-on-one with an instructor

* requirement of weekly target practice plus ongoing training with an instructor

* FBI background check before allowing the purchase of a gun (the one they supposedly will be carrying in the classroom).

THis is what I went through in order to earn my first licence and how I train. Will that happen? Nope.

Respected Contributor

Super liberal Colorado?  

Esteemed Contributor

Do the student's parents get to,refuse to have their child in a classroom where a fire arm is present?  

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

Super liberal Colorado?  

@GSPgirl, have you ever heard of Colorado Springs? :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

As a gun owner who holds permits to conceal and open carry, I find this 3 day training HORRIBLY lacking and dangerous.

IF you're going to do this, at LEAST make it what many of us gun owners support:

* 2 -3 weeks of classroom training plus a written test

* 2 weeks of range training with one-on-one with an instructor

* requirement of weekly target practice plus ongoing training with an instructor

* FBI background check before allowing the purchase of a gun (the one they supposedly will be carrying in the classroom).

THis is what I went through in order to earn my first licence and how I train. Will that happen? Nope.

@SahmIam before this thread gets poofed I just want to say thank you so much for your terrific post!

Respected Contributor

My concern with this would be if a student who was belligerent or angry would take the gun from the teacher to hurt the teacher(s) or other students.