Esteemed Contributor

COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

From Liberty Headlines on the Internet...Colorado trains teachers to use firearms in classrooms in order to protect children as part of a scheme motivated by a school massacre in 2012 known as Sandy Hook.

The three day course, which consists of firearms, and medical training was launched on Tuesday in Weld County. The course, provided by the Faculty Administration Safety Training and Emergency Response group (FASTER) was set up by parents, law enforcement officers and medical experts who believe that US schools are a "soft target" for violence.  The group refers to schools as "victim zones".

Personally, I never thought I would see the day when this would happen in The United States of America, very sad and frightening.  There will be many pros and cons regarding the decision and of this moment I haven't fully absorbed it to make a valid judgement.  Still have many questions before agreeing or disagreeing the movement.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

I predict that this thread will be poofed due to being "argumentative".

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or "controversial"

Or the catch all, "political".

Respected Contributor

They're training teachers how to use a firearm 

Will there be firearms in the classroom?

I'm not sure about this?    Keeping kids safe is of the utmost importance.   I'm not sure about having a firearm in the classroom...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

3 days of training sounds woefully inadequate to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure that the teachers won't be forced to carry a firearm if that is what they choose. 

Colorado is a wild state with lots of okays to do this or that.  Attracts criminals because the laws are lax.  Maybe some feel it best to protect the children in the way that is allowed. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

What could possibly go wrong?  (thud)

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

This whole concept scares me to death.  My dear ex was a cop and he showed me how easily and how fast a strong man can take a gun from a woman.  For that reason, I've never owned one, although I have an "Expert Marksman" rating from my experience in the USAF. There's a good likelihood your gun could be used on YOU. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

3 days??   omg -  even for someone already familiar with whatever gun is chosen that sounds like disaster in the making.  For someone like me who has never fired a gun even at a carnival display, 3 months might not help!

I haven't seen the details, but I assume the training is for volunteers but even that doesn't make me feel particularly comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I am curious how the parents of the kids in those classrooms feel about it.