Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

@Johnnyeager   Wow!! This looks bad for Lori & Mossimo. Their stubbornness is going to backfire.They are going to become the governments example of what happens when you break the law & then dig in. Hoping your celebrity will somehow save you.

Esteemed Contributor

Us Weekly has a report that Felicity Huffman is hoping that she can serve her time in a halfway house instead of prison.  That seems like a real possibility, if she serves any time at all, given her small dollar amount crime and her public remorse.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A new class action suit has been filed in the college admissions scandal.

14 students who were denied admissions to various colleges and universities have filed suit  in the U.S. District Court of Northern California.  Filed on behalf of all students denied admissions after paying application fees, the suit seeks to recoup fees paid between 2012 and 2018 from 8 schools associated with the scandal, as well as unspecified punitive damages

"Each of the universities took the students' admission application fees while failing to take adequate steps to ensure that their admissions process was fair and free of fraud, bribery, cheating and dishonesty.

I think these students have a tough row to hoe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A new class action suit has been filed in the college admissions scandal.

14 students who were denied admissions to various colleges and universities have filed suit  in the U.S. District Court of Northern California.  Filed on behalf of all students denied admissions after paying application fees, the suit seeks to recoup fees paid between 2012 and 2018 from 8 schools associated with the scandal, as well as unspecified punitive damages

"Each of the universities took the students' admission application fees while failing to take adequate steps to ensure that their admissions process was fair and free of fraud, bribery, cheating and dishonesty.

I think these students have a tough row to hoe.

I do too and as they should... There's been some legitimate wrong doing here, but this smacks of jumping on a bandwagon for their fifteen minutes and/or their unearned slice of the pie... Schools keep waiting lists. They know who might and might not have gained admission had those fraudulently admitted not gotten in. Morever, it's unclear what 'steps' they think universities might take to ensure, absolutely, the honesty of everyone they employ and every step of their process. No entity can do that...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Johnnyeager   Wow!! This looks bad for Lori & Mossimo. Their stubbornness is going to backfire.They are going to become the governments example of what happens when you break the law & then dig in. Hoping your celebrity will somehow save you.

But the other side of that is they are not doing anything different than what our countries US Constitution allows us to do.  So you cannot blame any citizen to continue on even if they are caught by their crime.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

But the other side of that is they are not doing anything different than what our countries US Constitution allows us to do.  So you cannot blame any citizen to continue on even if they are caught by their crime.

@beckyb1012, could you elaborate? I'm not understanding your line of thinking here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@beckyb1012, could you elaborate? I'm not understanding your line of thinking here.

We are all entitled to a trial.  Guilty or innocent.  Do they think the will get preference, probably do believe that.  But they are entitled to go all the way through the court system and not just plead out.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

We are all entitled to a trial.  Guilty or innocent.  Do they think the will get preference, probably do believe that.  But they are entitled to go all the way through the court system and not just plead out.

@beckyb1012, thanks. And I agree.

Honored Contributor

They will need very good lawyers to make these complaints stick. Refunding application fees is one thing...getting big bucks and damages is another thing...
Honored Contributor

I saw a headline today that said she was rethinking her “not guilty” plea. She has also been written out of Fuller House. I wonder how they explain what happened to Aunt Becky...😬