Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

@shoekitty wrote:

She cares big timr.e. But imo she needs to woman-up, do the time.  If she had pleaded guilty, she would have done 18 months.  Been out, redeemed and back at work.  But doing what she is now angers people.  She is doing more lasting damage.  I think she teally cares, and I think she would have not done it had she known what she was really doing.  But feeling a bit entitled madeher think, no will know, and I will be okay and after all ,it is me,

-------------------

Am thinking that she would not have done it if she thought she would get caught!!  There is just no believable defense here....

Esteemed Contributor

I hope that Aunt Becky goes to jail as it serves her right. Not only for trying to cheat the system, but the arrogance to think that she could maneuver her way out of jail time. When the story broke the DA (or whoever it was) said there was no special treatment for celebrities, and I hope they meant it. I hope they have enough evidence to where the “I didn’t know” defense does not fly. That would be a terrible precedence to set if they got off by claiming ignorance.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

This is not a legal development, but many of you will not be surprised to hear that, according to Variety, a scripted limited series about the scandal is already in development.  It will be based upon a soon to be published book Accepted and no network has been announced.  Casting speculation is underway.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

lori and her husband are really taking bad advice, or their own misguided advice.  she will never be able to work again.  i have family in the business and her reputation never rang any  bells.  but she is a joke now, big time.  in ten years the public will have forgotten all about this, but directors aND PRODUCERS WONT.  you cant leave the spot light for even a year before you are long forgotten.  if she is avoiding jail time, she may achieve that.  but if she and her husband want a livelihood that will be gone.  their house will be on the market next year.  but maybe she is done, and doesnt care.

Plenty of people get laid off in middle age never to find another decent paying job.  I'm sure that Lori & her husband will be financially okay...they may not live at the same level that they were living but will more than survive.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday in Boston court, Stephen Semprevivo, an LA executive, was the third parent (after Bruce and Davina Isackson) to appear in court for a plea hearing.

Judge Indira Talwani accepted his plea.  He paid $400,000 to have his son recruited as a Georgetown tennis player.  

Prosecutors have asked for an 18 month prison sentence.  He also must make some unspecified restitution to Georgetown and pay a $95,000 fine. Sentencing will occur September 11th in front of Judge Talwani.

(Boy, Lori and Mossimo really made a mistake by not pleading guilty.  Semprevivo's crime is similar in size and scope to theirs, and he's getting only 18 months instead of the 40 years Lori and Mossimo face).

Esteemed Contributor

Sources close to the investigation have informed the LA Times today  that Lori's daughters, Olivia Jade and Bella have not received target letters from the Justice Department.  Three letters are known to have been sent to children.

Additionally, there are reports that Lori's attorneys are feeling increasingly confident about her chances in a trial as they review the government's evidence and documents.

Defense attorneys are saying that a sympathetic case could be built to sway a jury, making it difficult for the prosecution to prove criminal intent.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

"Aunt Becky" has become a joke on the late night shows.

I keep thinking how Aunt Becky would have been so appalled by this womans behavior. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Sources close to the investigation have informed the LA Times today  that Lori's daughters, Olivia Jade and Bella have not received target letters from the Justice Department.  Three letters are known to have been sent to children.

Additionally, there are reports that Lori's attorneys are feeling increasingly confident about her chances in a trial as they review the government's evidence and documents.

Defense attorneys are saying that a sympathetic case could be built to sway a jury, making it difficult for the prosecution to prove criminal intent.

The key question for the parents' defense is "Where did the parents hear of the man who would arrange this?" If they heard of him through a trusted source (school guidance counselor, college official, etc.) and were assured the process was legal and done all the time, a jury may very well acquit. Proving criminal intent can often be challenging.

Many of the well-to-do hire people for nearly everything they consider tedious, from raising their children, tutoring their children, to cooking, cleaning, doing their taxes, doing their yardwork/household maintenance, doing their hair/makeup, and more. Hiring someone to help navigate the maze of college admission would not seem unusual to them. I'm pretty sure he was referred to them by someone. They were unlikely to have looked him up in the Yellow Pages. If they can show that whoever referred them to him was someone they trusted (and my best guess is it was a school official) then showing criminal intent on the part of the parents becomes challenging for the prosecutors. 

The man who arranged all of this had a legitimate looking storefront and promotional materials from what I understand. Most criminals don't bother with such niceties. He gave the appearance of being a legitimate business, and he delivered on his promises. Their children were accepted to the college of their choice. Why would they assume anything was done illegally? They may have realised he was bending rules by saying the girls were athletes, but if he assured them this was normal, why would they doubt him?

Many of the wealthy don't bother with the details and simply trust those they hire to get the job done. They then pay the fee and move on. This guy got the job done. Did they know the details? Probably not. Neither did their children. They were simply told, "This is the way it's done," and paid the required fees and got the desired results.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Schools do offer services for parents to help understand the college process, the steps involved for financial aid, qualifications necessary and this is, usually, a college night where there are several colleges present as well, so that the student and parents can get basic information on colleges prior to making their choice.

The service offered to help the parents with understanding the college process with advice on financial aid is a nominal fee of 150.00 to 200.00.

I have no doubt that it was by word of mouth that his man can get you into the college of your choice.

It is very difficult for me to think that any parent who paid that kind of money, anywhere from 12.000.00 to 1 million didn't know what they were doing was illegal!

Lady justice is blind but she sure isn't stupid!!!!!!!!!  I don't see how any jury would decide on a non guilty verdict.  A bribe is a bribe, a liar is a liar.  Take responsibility for your actions.

Esteemed Contributor

Juries have been known to make decisions that many of us have disagreed with.