Trusted Contributor

Re: COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW PROBABLY WORTHLESS

I have the complete set of Beatles bubblegum cards.

And a lot of cavities.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

I had a few small collections in the past when collecting was popular- mostly with women.

I still have a few pieces of Lladro and Waterford on display in my small home as it brings me joy to see them  Most pieces were gifts in the 80s and 90s. The pieces I have picked up more recently from Marketplace and thrift stores were a lot less $$

Respected Contributor

@denisemb 

Oh yeah, I have plenty of Dept 56. I haven't had it out in a couple years but I hope someday, someyear to have my grandchildren help me put it out. I know they would love doing it.

I have Dickens too. It's such nice quality, charming details. Wasn't cheap to purchase either!  Getting it out is fun. 

Super Contributor

I have a few collections. I'd consider selling them just to help with downsizing, but I don't think there is a market for any of it. I have some Boyd's Bears, Cherished Teddies, Country Cousins, Beanie Babies (including 2 Princess Di bears), Colonial Village Christmas, and Pilgrim glass. Neither my son or any of my nieces are interested in any of it, so I need to donate to someone who might enjoy them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a big collector but have some things that I collected because I enjoyed and not because of making any money off them.  I have Royal Doulton figurine dolls.  I also have Jim Shore figurines.  

My husband purchased several for me and gave as gifts and sometimes we would go looking together.  

I have in my curio cabinet and all are displayed.  

Respected Contributor

I have a few cookie jars that were from the 30's.  They had belonged to my grandmother and great aunt and then they were passed on to my mother.  She really didn't have a fondness for cookie jars so she gave them to me.  

I'm sure they aren't really worth anything to anyone else but I enjoy looking at them.  I also have a few that I purchased throughout the years.  Probably in all I have about 10 of them.   I keep them in a china hutch in my dining room.  

Esteemed Contributor

My mother and I both had some small to medium collections.....Lladors, Hummels, Waterford, and I had about 50 of those crazy Beanie Babies! LOL! Mother had too many collectible plates, and after she passed away I was able to sell them in an estate sale years ago. The Beanies have all been donated over the years or sold at garage sales for next to nothing. A few Lladros and Hummels remain, and I would have a real problem trying to say good-bye to my few pieces of Waterford! The bottom line is that I've whittled down the small collections and I know they're not worth much at all. I still enjoy the few pieces I have.

Trusted Contributor

I am sure you could get quite a bit of money for the Barbies. Check on eBay and see what people are asking for them. I have seen them on that site in the past for hundreds. There are some serious Barbie collectors out there! 

Trusted Contributor

I have been trying to donate or give away a lot of my stuff so my kids aren't stuck having to go through it after I am gone. I have learned from experience to NEVER hang on to anything assuming one of your kids will want it later. I finally gave away a wedding dress and three beautiful cedar chests, and several other things I assumed one of the girls or granddaughters would treasure.....nope! Even two large sets of English bone china. My mom had the right idea. She asked everyone when they were at her house over the years what they would like to have. Then she wrote it down. I found the list after she passed away. Some of the things people wanted were purely for sentimental reasons...and I loved being able to give things like a cookie jar, a towel hanger from the bathroom, and a small plaque with a Bible verse on it to those who had requested them. There were many tears when receiving such simple things. 
My mother loved bears when she was older and I bought her several. I now bring them all out at Easter with bonnets on them and the grand babies love them. 

Respected Contributor

I never collected anything with the thought it would be financial insurance for the future.  What I have collected I have enjoyed through the decades and have no plans to sell them nor give them away.