Honored Contributor

Re: COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW PROBABLY WORTHLESS

After my mother passed away I had to clear out the house as the house was being sold. My mother had many collectible items, I couldn’t keep them all. I had someone come look at what I had, she said there was no market for them. As much as I didn’t want to do it I had to throw most of it out. I have the little plastic Smurf figures, porcelain Elvis, Gone With The Wind, and Sound of Music music boxes. I kept a couple of collectible plates and figurines my mother had. I have a Beautiful Chrissy doll, that is in very good condition ( I was very gentle with my toys), Rosie O’Donnell dolls ( a Barbie type and stuffed one), Cher Barbie, I Dream Of Jeannie Barbie, and Erica Kane Barbie. All except the Chrissy doll are in the original packaging never having been played with, I would sell them for the right price.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately for me, all I ever collected were coins.  In my teens I was a cashier and used to watch all coins coming in like a hawk.  Most were very worn, so even the good ones weren't great.

Honored Contributor

I look at a lot of estate sales as well as go to antique stores.

I see Hummels (I always loved them and their story), salt and pepper shaker collections, Sterling silver of all kinds, and silver plate, fine china, action figures, Madame Alexander dolls and other "sets" of collectables.

I had a set of pewter "Precious Moments" gifted to me for several years.

I don't "collect" anything specifit except antique candle molds myself,DSCN0253.JPG and they do have worth, but I love the history of them.

I have one piece of Lladro, a large angel.

Honored Contributor

I really don't collect anything that would be worth anything to anyone but me or maybe my daughter. 

I do have a small collection of Eeyore stuff that fits on a little hanging 2 shelf curio type unit.  I keep them contained to that and don't have or want them all the house.

My husband is of the mindset that all his ancient history books are worth a lot of money.  I'm not convinced. 

Respected Contributor

We have Hummels, Anri woodcarvings, Boehm porcelain flowers, Royal Doulton figurines, and of course the dreaded Beanie Babies. I didn't list our Waterford because our son actually wants it.

Honored Contributor

I have hummels, made in Germany, we collected them in the 70's, when my husband was in the air force,  i find it hard to get rid of ,and you can't get anything for them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Carnival Glass

You can't give it away at Garage Sale prices anymore!

Esteemed Contributor

There is a high end resale store nearby. I browse there often and see items similar to things I have collected and inherited. 
  The store gives the owner half of the price of the item and it's reduced monthly. Royal Copenhagen China figurines are much cheaper there as are Lladros. I don't need any more! Delft is there, Lenox China and Waterford. They are cheaper than when collected 50 years ago!  
  My family sterling silver isn't as useful since it hates dishwashers! 

Unfortunately times have changed! 
  🍴🍽🥄 🛍🧸🪆🖼💸

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers A gold and silver dealer will buy your sterling for the value of the silver it contains. We had three sets, so we took our least favorite into the store. It brought quite a lot of money. (As I recall the knives were discounted because of the handle or something like that.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Am sure my Husband has some tucked away . I donated  his collection of those Beannies to a charity to raise money for a tract wheelchair for Veterans.

I have tons of beanies I'd like to get rid of.  Can I ask what charity you donated them too?

My mother collected Beanie Babies. She had hundreds before she died. I ended up selling them for about $1 each to a charity that gave them to sick kids. This was in 2014. I cried as I was packing them up. All that money she wasted on them. 

Charities such as the Salvation Army and Goodwill likely will sell the Beanie Babies and use the money for other charitable causes. If you want your stuffed animals to go directly to children, consider donating them to a homeless shelter that houses families, or to a domestic-abuse shelter, children's home, the pediatric wing of a local hospital or social services. If the Beanie Babies have never been used and still have the tags on them, hold onto them until the holiday season, at which point you may donate them to Toys for Tots.

You can also call your local police station and see if they can use them to give to kids.