Honored Contributor

COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW PROBABLY WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]

I like the articles in the Cheapism daily newsletter.  How many of us have something old that "might" be worth something, some day, so we're keeping it?   

Collectibles That Are Now Probably Worthless | Cheapism.com

Just out of curiousity .... what have you been saving?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW PROBABLY WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]

Am sure my Husband has some tucked away . I donated  his collection of those Beannies to a charity to raise money for a tract wheelchair for Veterans.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Am sure my Husband has some tucked away . I donated  his collection of those Beannies to a charity to raise money for a tract wheelchair for Veterans.

I have tons of beanies I'd like to get rid of.  Can I ask what charity you donated them too?

Trusted Contributor

I have a small lladro and Wedgwood collection. I'm sure it's only worth something to me.

After a relative died, I inherited a huge Anna Lee collection, which I gave to a friend. My relative spent thousands of dollars on Anna Lee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never have been a collector of anything. I had a neighbor who spend 100's on beanies thinking she'd make a fortune. Her husband had a fit and she ended up giving them away when she couldn't sell any of them.

Marie Osmond or any dolls, Boyd's Bears etc. don't seem to have  market from what I've read.

Honored Contributor

My mother and my aunt (her sister) collected plates and Hummels.  All our lives - whenever there was an ocasion - that's what they got for gifts.  They had a LOT of plates and Hummels.

They are both gone now and I haven't a clue what happened to their stuff.   I'm guessing my nieces may have taken the stuff to pass along to their children.

I collect books that contain (1) historical or genealogical info about my ancestors and (2) books that were published by one of my great uncle's company. 

Neither collection would be worth anything to anyone other than family members.  Collection 1 books are almost all in German or French.

Trusted Contributor

I inherited my mother's Hummel figurines and Thomas Kinkade paintings, all from QVC.

Respected Contributor

I have about 33 Dept. 56 "Dicken's Village" buildings and countless accessories.

Haven't put them out in years, and was just about to donate them to a local hospice resale shop (along with my 12 place settings of bone china) when the "C-19" arrived last year.  Woman Sad

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

I have tons of beanies I'd like to get rid of.  Can I ask what charity you donated them too?

It was our local Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter .

You can check with your local Chapter .

I do know that Purple Heart  who use Green Drop do  sell collectibles to raise money for all veterans . You can call Green Drop for pickup -they  collect for a couple of charities but if you want  proceeds to go to Vets label all boxes as Military Order of Purple Heart  .

Super Contributor

I can remember the Beanie Babies fad. That was huge at one point in time. From what I understand, most are worth very little. However, a few are worth lots of money. Be careful you don't give away one of the few that is worth some $$$$. 

My mother used to collect the Birthday Dolls. You got a glass figurine doll on every birthday, and the doll was holding up the age number that you would be turning that year. I doubt they are worth anything, and I never cared for them. I have every one up to age 21. 

Another collectible is currier & ives. Is that worth anything?