Esteemed Contributor

CO-WORKER DEAD BECAUSE OF A DRUNK DRIVER

[ Edited ]

On November 29, 2020, my daughter's co-worker was  driving home from work late afternoon when she was hit broadside by another car.   She had to be extracted from the car and air lifted to a hospital.

It was determined that the driver of the car that hit her was drunk with an alcohol level of 33.6 which is more than 4 times the legal limit.   Investigator's also determined the thirty seven year old drunk driver was going 77 miles per hour just seconds before he hit her car at 66 miles per hour in an area where the speed limit is 35 and he hit another car as well.

The co-worker whose name is April who was thirty eight years old, was in the hospital for 5 days with multiple fractures and head trauma.  She had two broken legs, paralyzed on one side of her body and internal injuries.  She had a broken collar bone, had to have her spleen and a kidney removed and was in a coma and never regained consciousness.  

Her family was with her when she came out of surgery and was taken to ICU where everyone prayed she would heal.  Unfortunately, her injuries were too severe and she passed away.  April left 3 children, a girl 20 years old, a boy 10 years old and another girl 18 years old.   There was an article in the local newspaper about the accident.

The drunk driver was arrested two weeks after the crash on 12/11/20.  He's accused of 2nd degree murder and aggravated assault.

My daughter, Stacy, told me that April was a very warm and friendly person and everyone liked her.  I know what alcohol can do as I was a victim of someone who when he drank became physically violent.

My heart aches for April's family, her three children and her parents as well as everyone who  knew her are hurting.  All because one man was irresponsible and drank too much.  Too many people have paid a very heavy price because of it, I wish I could make it stop.  God Bless all the victims and their loved ones.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: CO-WORKER DEAD BECAUSE OF A DRUNK DRIVER

@Lindsays Grandma 

Wow .... how sad.   Condolences to her family and all that knew her.   Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Condolences to the family.

It's always hard to loose someone, then add a senseless tragedy to it, and at Christmas time on top of that, I can't even fathom the pain that her family is going through.

With a blood alcohol level of point 33 (0.33) I don't know how he was able to stand up.

Leagly drunk is anything at or above a 0.08, so to be more than four times that just boggles my mind.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Senseless and so tragic. So very sorry for her, her children and all who knew her.  Deepest condolences. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm very sorry to hear this sad story. Prayers for April, her family and all who loved her. 

I would imagine this isn't his first time driving drunk, and maybe not even his first accident while doing so. Very sad and disturbing. 

Valued Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

This is just a horrible ending to what I am sure was a wonderful person's life. It makes me want to share something I experienced in the 90's.

When I was making up clinical time in Radiology as a student on Christmas Eve night, all hell broke loose in the ER at the hospital I was at in a western suburb of Chicago. The whole back half of the hospital stunk of alcohol as if someone had poured a ton of liquor over it. The ER was literally full of accident cases, and every surgeon had to be called in for emergency cases of skull, jaw, leg, spinal fractures. I've never seen anything like it. I'll never forget the smell. Very sobering. I could never drink and drive.

Trusted Contributor

My heart goes out to all who knew and loved her.  How senseless

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   My symapthies to your daughter's friend's family. Unnecessary accident by a thoughtless person.

So many tragic losses this year. I hope this message is not forgotten because some people are getting numb to feelings of loss. 

Trusted Contributor

Heartbreaking.  Hearing these things infuriates me.  We've had way too many similar tragic stories where I live.  One of the most recent was a Boy Scout who was on a hike with other kids was hit and killed by a drunk driver.  The man who hit the Scouts had been drinking very early in the day and drove along a narrow street and plowed into the kids.  My prayers to April and her family.  Drunks do damage not only to who they kill, but to families and friends as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

What a tragedy for this poor victim and her family and friends.

I don’t drink at all, but I would never drive if I did.  

No matter what punishment this driver receives, this poor woman can never come back.