Honored Contributor

Re: CNN news What Amazon wants to do

Don't worry....I already have flawless candles and cuddle duds in my gift closet for the drones.
Honored Contributor

It wouldn't be much different than what the independant contractors who deliver for Amazon do now.  Most of them place the package at the door,  step back and take a picture with their cell phone and sprint back to their cars.  I sit in my home office and watch that scenario.  Human or drone, it's no different.   

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
that is a great idea; my back porch is behind a locked backyard gate so I couldn't do it.....

@lovesrecess  I think the drone would just fly right over your gate to get to the back porch.

I too have a locked gate but would love a drone delivering to my back door.  I'm sure they could do it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm sure there will be pirates with open bags just waiting for the robots to drop it right in.

@SilleeMee.  They'll probably start a new sport...shooting down drones and snatching their packages.

This whole concept sounds like the brainchild of a boyish billionaire with too much time on his hands and a drone with no purpose.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Amazon has surely taken over.  It is to this century as Walmart was to the last20 ears of last century.  Businesses will be lost, other businesses will be created and amazon will pave the way for a new leader.

the internet age has made online shopping part of everyday life.  I have a 90 year old neighbor who orders from amazon all the time.  Can you imagine the convenience for those who do not drive, are shut ins, live in small towns or are consumed with work and family.  I don't buy things I dont need.  I buy things I used to buy in town.at brick and morter, or used to buy at the mall.    It is a double edge sword.  The shelfs at grocery store are offering less of a selection.  So many brands  and items dropped.  Fortunatley I can buy them online.  But perhaps if we had bought them at store, they wouldnt have discontinued.  Lol

for someone with spine issues and trouble walking online has opened a world of shopping.  I can go online get the color I want in the size I. Want without going in and out of stores rummaging through racks only to find the style and color, but not my size.  I feel sorry for the malls though.  But someday soon another venture will open up, and  we be off on anothe direction.

i really miss the old one on one stores.  Personal service, help you with items , call you when new line is in , and special order of need be. I dont need a lot of attention when in the store, but it is sure nice to get help if you need it.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

We will get used to it and we will all love it......Amazon is the best.

Soon every other company will follow suit..........

Look at Walmarts new announcement , with their  food delivery service...lol..  They will even put the perishables in your refrigarator  for you.............lol

@MalteseMomma 

I heard that on the news about WalMart - that is seriously nuts! I can’t imagine allowing strangers in my home for any reason - even if I am there!

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
you are one of the lucky few if you get your packages handed to you be a real person.....what's your secret?

@lovesrecess 

I use a private post office. My packages are all received by a person and held for me in a safe, cool location.

I very rarely have things delivered to my home - only if I know when something will be delivered and I will be home. I work full time so that is a rare thing. Packages left at my door can be seen from the street. Even if no one steals them I live in a warm climate and don’t want my purchases heating up for hours. It is better to have them delivered to a person at a PPO.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

We will get used to it and we will all love it......Amazon is the best.

Amazon is not the best in my world. I avoid AMZ as much as possible. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't want drones flying around my house.  As if the roadways weren't congested enough, and now I'm experiencing more helicopter traffic overhead than ever before.

I remember back in the '70s, when there was encouragement to combine trips for necessary items in order to save energy.  I certainly agree, the convenience and probably often "life-saving" aspects of this immediate delivery concept is in many ways to be lauded, but I fear we lose some of our self-sufficiency along the way, sacrificing immediate gratification over all.

JMO.  I am grateful today for the choices I have.  Good weekend friends!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I rarely know when I have something delivered.....it is either stuffed into the mailbox by USPS, and UPS and FedEx don't ring the bell.....

Me too----I don't understand UPS and FedEx---they are right at the door and they can't push a bell.