Honored Contributor

@Seannie .............The poor lady needs to be put in an extended care facility.  Her husbands needs a break.  He can always visit regularly and even feed her if he wants.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Do you have Visiting Angels in your area? https://www.visitingangels.com 

You can schedule a consult, for the number of hours per week, that they will come out to help.

I used them with my dad, and they were great. 

Hope this helps!

Visiting Angels is very expensive plus they want a minimum of 4 hours. We used them for my aunt when she broke her leg in 2018 and she needed 24/7 care and they were $15,000 a month. 

@Meowingkitty 

When I hired  them for my dad, they came out ONE day a week, for TWO hour visit.

So, that's why I say to call and get a consult. It isn't gonna hurt to do that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie   As I read this heartbreaking and very complicated situation, what you suggested jumped into my mind. 

I think having a stable, comprehensive and professional environment to deal with the woman's numerous conditions (with active input from her husband) is the most effective and compassionate approach to this situation.  

It would probably work out best financially for the family (although I admit I don't know anything about what medicare picks up for extended care). 

I DO KNOW that, in general, in-home care is very expensive and not picked up by insurance because I'm arranging for it myself after my upcoming total knee replacement in October.  My daughter will stay with me for a week; however, after that I will still additional home care and will pay for it out-of-pocket.

Regular Contributor

The situation you describe is actually dangerous. What would happen to the bedridden patient in case of fire for example. Two hours a day would only allow for one diaper change every 24 hours. That could lead to infections and skin conditions. Two hours twice a day might work but agencies don't operate that way. What would happen to the poor lady should her elderly husband fall or something? Hopefully they have a home alarm system in place.Wishing these poor souls the best. It is hard to give up the independence of a home but sometimes it is the best solution.

Respected Contributor

Re: CNA/ Home Health Care

[ Edited ]

Sadly,  the best course of action is placement in a facility. Medicare has 5 requirements for eligibility for homecare and those are that the person be homebound, need skilled services, services to be short term and intermittent, under a plan of care and supervision of a Dr., as well as the person being safe at home. This person seems to meet only one of those requirements. Her elderly husband could not keep her safe in case of an emergency. Hiring someone, even if you could find someone, for and hour or 2 a day would mean she would only be changed once a day as her husband cannot perform that task, and it would lead to skin breakdown and infection.

I spent the last years of my nursing career in homecare and a case like this would be sent to the hospital for further evaluation and an ACS referral.

Depending on the financial situation of the couple and the state they live in, they may be eligable for Medicaid. That would be appllied for from a social worker if that option is available to them. Medicaid can pay for more hours of personal care if approved.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Do you have Visiting Angels in your area? https://www.visitingangels.com 

You can schedule a consult, for the number of hours per week, that they will come out to help.

I used them with my dad, and they were great. 

Hope this helps!

Visiting Angels is very expensive plus they want a minimum of 4 hours. We used them for my aunt when she broke her leg in 2018 and she needed 24/7 care and they were $15,000 a month. 

@Meowingkitty 

When I hired  them for my dad, they came out ONE day a week, for TWO hour visit.

So, that's why I say to call and get a consult. It isn't gonna hurt to do that.

@Anonymous032819 @Wish they were around when I needed help. Thanks for posting.

Frequent Contributor

@Seannie 

I'm a social worker who works with older adults. If the couple aren't able to afford home care, Medicaid offers community long term care coverage. Reach out to the area's Dept. of Aging - they should be able to provide guidance.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda ............I was so saddened at their situation.  It could happen to any of us at any given time.

I know that your knee replacement will go well and you will be dancing before you know it.  From what I have been told by people that have had the knee surgery, its not nearly as disabling as it used to be, maybe you wont need home care at all or not nearly as long as you anticipate.  Do you have friends, other family or church members that would be willing to help you out?  I will pray that you have painless speedy recovery.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

Thanks all, for your help.  Many great suggestions.  The nursing homes nearby are very substandard and dangerous (southwestern PA) and because the son had worked in one as a youth, he said he would never put his parents in one, but care for them at home.  Apparently he has now changed his mind as he is leaving town.

Seannie

Super Contributor

Many home care agencies , have a 25 pound lifting restriction for their employees.  Some clients are a 2 person asssist. Also some agency's are non-medical, even though they employe CNA HHA, there draw the line at home much care they can actually do.