Honored Contributor

CHURCHILL'S THANKSGIVING SPEECH

Saw this lovely short speech unearthed today.  Winston Churchill gave it at the Royal Albert Hall in 1944, while we and our great allies the Brits were still in the midst of World War II.

EKbZiisW4AEkhxg.jpg

Churchill was always mindful of his American side, and it's  so neat that he would see fit to weave this American holiday into the resolute endeavor of the British and American people at a crucial time.  A special relationship indeed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CHURCHILL'S THANKSGIVING SPEECH

[ Edited ]

oznell,

Thank you so much for posting this.  Although of Greek descent, I come from a long line of Anglophiles (paternal side). 

We have always been mindful of the precious bond that exists between Great Britain and the United States.  May it be respected and upheld forever.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Honored Contributor

Churchhill was a great leader and his words ring out even today.  I hope the bond between our countries remains close and strong despite the turmoil and chaos which surrounds us.

Honored Contributor

I think it's as strong as ever!  Truly a wonderful, long-lasting, shared bond, esp. remarkable considering how we started out.   Here's to good friends and allies on Thanksgiving!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this, @Oznell 

On April 9, 1963, Churchill was the first foreign national to receive honorary United States citizenship.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I think it's as strong as ever!  Truly a wonderful, long-lasting, shared bond, esp. remarkable considering how we started out.   Here's to good friends and allies on Thanksgiving!

@Oznell 

Thank you for sharing this, it brought me to reflect on my experiences in other countries as so often people speak with admiration for America, and express appreciation for our assistances.  It has always been a very proud feeling of comradery.

I hope they are bonds that are maintained!

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Wow, I didn't know that, @alliswell --  how appropriate that he was the first!

Ditto, @Drythe, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too!

Respected Contributor

Great speech from a strong leader. Love History. Thanks for posting his words @Oznell
Respected Contributor

Certainly enjoyed this speech from a great man and statesman. .  Maybe one of the reasons for his great affection for America was because of his ancestry...he was half American because his Mother was an American heiress

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @HiLo, he referenced that throughout his career.  It was so serendipitous that a person of his unique heritage and of course, immense talents and resolve, was there to partner with us at a time of crisis...