Honored Contributor

CHURCHILL ANNIVERSARY

[ Edited ]

Screenshot_2020-05-15 Churchill in Charge 80th Anniversary.png

Wow, I've just been reading that Britons and historians worldwide are marking the 80th anniversary of Churchill assuming the prime ministership in May, 1940, shortly after Nazi Germany had invaded France.

King George VI knew Churchill was the only one to lead and save Britain at that time of darkness and dread for England.  If that sounds dramatic, it is!  But many thought that way.  One account said that his youngest child, 17 year old Mary, heard on the radio that the King had made this request of her father.  She said a prayer for him, then went on with her day; she knew her father would come through-- she knew it almost matter-of-factly, it sounds like.

Later, in peace time, the Queen became the first reigning royal in history to attend the funeral of a commoner, and it was Winston Churchill.  She said it was because he had saved Britain. 

Esteemed Contributor

We watched a documentary on Churchill the other evening.  It’s always interesting to see a brief history of an important’s person life.  I had not realized that Churchill had overcome so many failures to eventually lead England to victory, assuring America’s freedom as well.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: CHURCHILL ANNIVERSARY

[ Edited ]

There's also a film called Churchill. The actor Brian Cox was indeed very good in his role.

PS; Also, Sir Winston Churchill was a very good "buddie" (as my Americans like to use the word) with Aristotle Onassis.

In this black and white photgraphe, you can see Maria Callas, Onassis and Churchill aboard Onassis's motor yatcht Christina.

8629b7a40bbbaba3031be7f31aed0aee.jpg

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

if it hadn't been for Churchill, we'd all be speaking German today.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Churchill is one of my heroes.  What a character he was!  He stood up to Hitler alone for a while.  There was a movie called "Darkest Hour" that came out in 2018 I think; it was very good.

PS- He was half-American!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Honored Contributor

I'm personally glad of our own leadership, @spiderw, but entirely in accord with your admiration of Churchill.

Respected Contributor

And to think how the English booted him out of office right after WWII was over, after the way he saved the world...just shameful. I've never understood why they did that.

"Thanks for saving the world; now, here's you hat--what's your hurry?"

Honored Contributor

Darkest Hour was an excellent movie about Churchill's role in the evacution of Dunkirk, a true miracle.  He was the right man at the right time.  And it is to the King's credit that he recognized it.

Respected Contributor

I highly recommend Erik Larson’s latest book,The Splendid and the Vile. It’s about Churchhill’s first year in office and is excellent. I lucked out on an e-book from our library and am reading it now.