Respected Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS SHOPPING FOR WHAT IS ASKED FOR!

That's the way we do it in our family.  Everyone makes a list of suggestions, and we buy things from the list plus some other things.  I would not be able to come up that many ideas for each person - if we just bought one large gift for each other it would be easier, but we each get a bunch lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I only buy for what people ask for! It drives me crazy when I hear that some shop all year long, picking up junk to give their loved ones at Christmas. Then they boast that they're all done shopping way before the holidays, when all they have bought was only what you liked not what they liked. I wait for everyone to give me a list, then I go about my shopping. 

These answers, seen pretty frequently around here always have me shaking my head.  Why do people assume that if you shop early, you are "picking up junk"?????  I shop early..... and I also shop the day after Thanksgiving.  The after Thanksgiving items usually are from a list my sister's kids (young adults) have given me.  But I assure you, that just because I might shop early for gifts for friends, I haven't just "picked up junk".  

None of the gifts I've gotten my sister this year (we NEVER give each other a list) are junk.  They're really very nice.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

My daughter tells me exactly what she wants. Gone are the days where I buy stuff, she pretends to like it and it sits in the bottom of the closet.

I'd rather buy one nice gift for a reasonable amount than buy a bunch of stuff she won't like or use.

Trusted Contributor

that's the only way I go! since we got married, hubby and I tell each other what we want or pick it out ourselves. I can't stand receiving gifts that I find useless or that aren't my type. an unappreciated gift is a waste of money imo. same with our families. there's a wish list or we simply give cash. giver and recipient are happy. no need for feigning gratitude. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the poster who said, upthread, that it is appropriate if the shopper (gift giver) actually asks for it.

If the gift recipient presents people with a list of stuff they want - that seems rather gauche to me.   

Honored Contributor

I don't like very specific lists.  If a person know exactly what she wants  and tells me, I'd just as soon go the lazy route and give money (cash, check, or gift card). 

If the person trusts my judgement and just gives me a category, I'd prefer to shop unless I really don't know the recipient -  then I'm back to gift cards.

Trusted Contributor

I love it - want to get everyone a gift they really want and/or need.

We do Amazon wish lists which works out great (adults only, not the kids).

For the kids, I just try to keep track of what they mention during the year.  Then add in a few surprises, also.

Respected Contributor

I usually ask if there is something they want really badly in my price range, which I tell them first. If there is, I try to get that then other things I choose! So far, everyone says they are happy with the choices I make! I always try to have some kind of "surprise" all four adult kids get, like a gift card to a few different places. My grand now gets some, too! Although she gets fewer and hers are only $5 cards! She is good at managing her money now so I try to make her feel important and included! I hate wish lists and almost never look at them unless the thing one of them really wants is difficult to figure out or find!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Regular Contributor

We have 12 adult children and 6 grandchildren. Years ago I asked all to make Amazon list as Amazon has a universal app that one can find anything anywhere. We have done $300 per individual. This year will be less. I've had long list to select from.
My husband and I make long lists as requested. We are all surprised and thrilled as we usually forget what was on any list. Everyone is thrilled to receive items they can really use or want. A wish list is wonderful as other side of families give what they want to give and not aleays what is really needed.

It's a magical time at our home as I have been told. Everyone comes over Christmas Eve, spends the night, gets up for Ssnta. Eats breakfast, 12:00 opening presents, dinner. It's a fun time for everyone with lots of love.

We all have deep faith and remembrance of what this once s year on Christmas that's within our spirit and soul.

We all celebrate all holidays and summer fun times together. We have never asked or expect ever any children to be with us as we want them to have time to share with others they love and are dear. It just has worked through the years.
Honored Contributor

Amazon is a great idea!  My husband would LOVE a 6 months supply of paper towels so he wouldn't have to go to Sam's and get them!  LOL!!!

I think you could do some pretty creative things like a few times of maid service, big supply of some item, etc. that people hate to have to go get.  You could give them time that way!  A book they want and 2 housekeeping gift certificates so they would have TIME to read their book.

One of the best gifts I ever got was a gift card to a car wash!