Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

QVC is a retailer -- not a manufacturer.  As a consumer, you have the option to purchase here or not.

As long as people are purchasing these items, it would be silly for QVC not to sell them as QVC is in business to make money.

If you wish to purchase items from other places, there are a multitude of retailers available.

ITA.

But many people here would just rather complain and show their self-importance.

I have an uneasy feeling that some of those posts are even rooted in innate bigotry (conscious or not), which would be truly a shame.

Self importance?  Innate bigotry? Oh good grief.  China has been spitting out a lot of crud for eons.  Quality items too, but they're rather famous for shipping out broken and defective items.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

Granted, I'm not much of a kitsch person but I've never purchased any VPH for this reason. I once received a Centigrade peacoat with all coat pockets sewn shut. CS knew of the problem and yet they were still sold this way.

I've been here since 2005 and I can't believe the reviews I read that say "it came broken, etc" "but I'll glue it back together rather than send it back"

I can't imagine going into a B & M store with that thought in mind.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

QVC is a retailer -- not a manufacturer.  As a consumer, you have the option to purchase here or not.

As long as people are purchasing these items, it would be silly for QVC not to sell them as QVC is in business to make money.

If you wish to purchase items from other places, there are a multitude of retailers available.

ITA.

I have an uneasy feeling that some of those posts are even rooted in innate bigotry (conscious or not), which would be truly a shame.

Jaye,

I have to disagree with you on this one.  In all honesty, I believe that the O/P, like many Q shoppers, enjoys shopping wth QVC, but has become frustrated with a number of things, a few of which pertain to quality issues.  For those of us who have been around QVC for a while, me since 1989, we have seen the quality slide to a horrible level.  It has immensely affected the number of purchases I make per annum for example.

Also, I am, along with many others, pro-American when it comes the design and manufacture of products in the U.S. and am willing to pay more - moderately more - to purchaes Made in the USA.  Why?  Because I believe that in the end our goal should be to create jobs through the creation of design and manufacturing companies here in the US.

(Am I vested in this?  Yes.  My husband had a 23 year career in Silicon Valley before huge slide of jobs off our shores.)

QVC can offer more product at the same prices they may have some years ago, but reap higher profit, as the cost to manufacture in China is much less than the US.  Honestly, I think very few are vested in bigotry here.  I see this unfortunate moniker as extraordinarily disappointing in light of current events in communities where violence is now a daily occurence.  For those of us who lived through those days in the late 60s and 70s, we cannot have peace soon enough.

Honored Contributor

Some countries aren't keeping a close eye on various ingredients/chemicals/whatever else that is added to US items.  But, as long as our own companies aren't there, supervising in an exact way, well, that's what we get.  It's up to us to make sure the overseas manufacturers are properly and safely manufacturing. And I'm only guessing that's what they're thinking, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

ITA.

Self importance?  Innate bigotry? Oh good grief.  China has been spitting out a lot of crud for eons.  Quality items too, but they're rather famous for shipping out broken and defective items.  

I said some.

And I do know that much (but not all) "made in China" stuff is inferior quality, and may not be as reliable or long-lasting.

But broken and defective items can come from any manufacturer anywhere, although there does seem to be a preponderance from China.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Some countries aren't keeping a close eye on various ingredients/chemicals/whatever else that is added to US items.  But, as long as our own companies aren't there, supervising in an exact way, well, that's what we get.  It's up to us to make sure the overseas manufacturers are properly and safely manufacturing. And I'm only guessing that's what they're thinking, too.

Yep; it's also up to us to lower the prices of many USA-made items, so that more people can afford to buy them.

There are a lot of people who cannot pay more for better quality.

Many manufacturers and artisans are greedy, and won't compete in money respect. But competition is healthy in many ways.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

ITA.

Jaye,

I have to disagree with you on this one.  In all honesty, I believe that the O/P, like many Q shoppers, enjoys shopping wth QVC, but has become frustrated with a number of things, a few of which pertain to quality issues.  For those of us who have been around QVC for a while, me since 1989, we have seen the quality slide to a horrible level.  It has immensely affected the number of purchases I make per annum for example.

Also, I am, along with many others, pro-American when it comes the design and manufacture of products in the U.S. and am willing to pay more - moderately more - to purchaes Made in the USA.  Why?  Because I believe that in the end our goal should be to create jobs through the creation of design and manufacturing companies here in the US.

(Am I vested in this?  Yes.  My husband had a 23 year career in Silicon Valley before huge slide of jobs off our shores.)

QVC can offer more product at the same prices they may have some years ago, but reap higher profit, as the cost to manufacture in China is much less than the US.  Honestly, I think very few are vested in bigotry here.  I see this unfortunate moniker as extraordinarily disappointing in light of current events in communities where violence is now a daily occurence.  For those of us who lived through those days in the late 60s and 70s, we cannot have peace soon enough.

Hey Becc,

That's OK; we're all individuals plus I appreciate honesty. 

And I'm always open to hear what (most, LOL) people have to say.

I understand many of your and other posters' points, but no one is forcing anyone to buy from the Q or any other vendor(s) that may frustrate them, or whose motto is not in line with their own.

If you don't like something say or do something, instead of chronically complaining.

No one really wants to hear it, and no one truly cares.

QVC is certainly not alone in "sliding downward", from what I read and hear all over the Interwebz.  

I'm pro-America, too, when it comes to most things, but have to be a realist as well in knowing that the rest of the world can't always meet any expectations I might have.

In fact, I try to never assume or expect things in life.

Disappointment and frustration are negative emotions that just stress a person out.

I feel that people may have a right to some things, but they're not entitled (as many ridiculously feel) to anything.

As I'm sure you realize, we can't force the greedy heads of companies to keep all jobs here.  Most won't pay higher when they can easily pay lower, even when they know the public wants it.

No one ever said that because someone has book knowledge or a degree, they also possess any common sense, street smarts, or life knowledge.

I'd personally rather make less revenue but have satisfied loyal customers.

And they will often bring new ones.

Yes, I sadly agree with you about the ever-increasing bigotry of all  kinds; peace, equality, and true acceptance seem like a unattainable dream.

Although I'm a born idealist, I've had to become more of a realist re: many things. Unfortunately, that includes some that make me ashamed to be a human being, and even sometimes, an American.

Respected Contributor

Many high end retailers have a lot of stuff made in China.  Some of it's good and some of it's junk.  As consumers we have to decide what to buy and what not too.  

QVC and everywhere else will carry what sells.   It'd be great if everything was made in the USA but it's not.  I'm all for pro American made, but I won't buy something I don't want because it is.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

If I had young toddlers/children in this day and age, I'd be using a portable lead tester, making sure that toys and surfaces, and probably fabrics, don't contain lead.  Can you imagine how many chemicals children are being exposed to?  From what folks tell me, some states have signs posted warning customers about the chemical ingredients that are harmful, even in bar soaps.  But not all states.  Seems to me that all states should have those warnings. .......'All in all', I believe that most of us wouldn't approve of hidden dangerous, non-tested chemicals in and on items.  Especially for children. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

Thanks Another View 2.