Honored Contributor

CENTURIES' OLD SECRET PASSAGE FOUND BY BRITS IN HOUSE OF COMMONS

speaker-of-the-house-of-commons-lindsay-hoyle-poses-leaving-news-photo-1582929190.jpg

My kind of story!  They've just re-discovered this secret passage in Parliament, which dates back, get this, to 1660. The only clue to it was a tiny keyhole, that was discovered and started the whole investigation.  

They believe that Robert Walpole, regarded as the first British Prime Minister, used it, and think it likely that Benjamin Franklin used it when in England....

Lost secret passages-- what could be more romantic.  I found what I thought was one in the apartment building we lived in for awhile when I was little.  And that one was only a clean, rather sterile stairway in an impersonal midcentury pile!  

My most exciting dream would be to accidentally lean against a polished wood panel in an old library, and be whisked to the other side, "Alice Through the Looking Glass" style....

More on the House of Commons secret passage:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a31161655/british-parliament-secret-passa...

Respected Contributor

Re: CENTURIES' OLD SECRET PASSAGE FOUND BY BRITS IN HOUSE OF COMMONS

Ah, yes.  The Old Secret Pasage.  Really cool things those.  Cause there's Always a reason.  Poke around in an old Port city  and you'll find 'em.  Not all cargo was on the up and up.  Follow the Underground Railroad and you'll find stairways and cubbies for the hiding of souls.  Facinating things.  If I ever built a house I'd want lots of built in shelving ( with a little squeeze space behind) and a couple of cubbies when you lift up a stair tread.  Everyone loves to find a bit of secret treasure!

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a house in the late 70s that was built in 1910. We always wondered why there was a wall that bumped out in a hallway. One day we were painting the hallway and my husband noticed a small button like a doorbell thing at the baseboard he pressed it and it was not moving and we both insisted it had to be something so he got a razor knife and we scrapped around it and it pushed in and the panel above opened! We were just blown away. we looked in with flashlight to see it was a storage area. It was dust a couple books in a box and a broken rocker. It was cool. We broke up and he got the house. 
My DH I'm with now we bought a 1940s house in the 90s and lived here till 2016. Before we moved we had to fix a outdoor light fixture up in the eves of the roof, my DH was reaching under the floor boards in the attic to found the box to the light and felt a can he had to really reach it to get it, when he came to the kitchen with the van we were just shocked! We went onto back porch to open it and it was filled with silver coins! We were just shocked and amazed. We took them to an antique coin dealer that his family knew and he said they were worth 1800.00! He also really wanted the can which was an old baby food can. He said the can was valuable from the 1800s! Unbelievable. So I have very lucky finding hidden passages and treasures. How blessed! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you, very interesting.

Not nearly as romantic, but I remember there is a bell 🔔 in a local public house which is rung when the House needs members to return for a vote. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I love secret passages and all that.  I think it came from reading too many Nancy Drew books.

Honored Contributor

What great stories!  And lucky @godi , when in "exploratory mode",  you were blessed to have lightning strike twice!  Fun.

Honored Contributor

Very cool!!