Honored Contributor

Re: CELL PHONES ANNOYING IN RESTAURANTS

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shanus  I understand your point about families or even couples not communicating.

It is sad to see kids as young as 8 or so texting/scrolling/etc. along with parents.  I think it isn't so much that it is a distraction but a commentary on how our social interaction with our immediate families/friends - the face-to-face interaction - has diminished.

We are observant human beings; to say one has never noticed it is false.

I seriously doubt that anybody here has never noticed it.  There is a big difference between noticing and letting it bother you.

As far as "talking loudly" because somebody is hard of hearing-that is a medical issue that should be addressed not only to look for underlying causes but also for safety issues. 

No, phones are not important at all in our family; going out to eat is a treat for us all depending upon health issues; grandson/son/dil/me/dh-nobody takes their phone out.  Ever. 

I understand a doctor on call or a family waiting on health news regarding a loved one, however.

The delicate art of conversation needs a boost, imo. 

I agree. I made a rule for home, as well. No cells at meals at the table.....no matter where we're eating. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shanus  I understand your point about families or even couples not communicating.

It is sad to see kids as young as 8 or so texting/scrolling/etc. along with parents.  I think it isn't so much that it is a distraction but a commentary on how our social interaction with our immediate families/friends - the face-to-face interaction - has diminished.

We are observant human beings; to say one has never noticed it is false.

I seriously doubt that anybody here has never noticed it.  There is a big difference between noticing and letting it bother you.

As far as "talking loudly" because somebody is hard of hearing-that is a medical issue that should be addressed not only to look for underlying causes but also for safety issues. 

No, phones are not important at all in our family; going out to eat is a treat for us all depending upon health issues; grandson/son/dil/me/dh-nobody takes their phone out.  Ever. 

I understand a doctor on call or a family waiting on health news regarding a loved one, however.

The delicate art of conversation needs a boost, imo. 

I agree. I made a rule for home, as well. No cells at meals at the table.....no matter where we're eating. 

@Shanus  And no TV, either.  Music is ok but not heavy metal.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I find it more rude and distracting to have others watch and judge what strangers are doing at their tables rather than paying attention to what's going on at their own.

I find it more rude and distracting, in a public place, to have people disturbing me talking loudly on cells. We should be   respectful of those around us.

Wow.......Bringing up a post from a month ago just to yell at me ROFL. Your font size is equivalent to yelling. 

I simply prefer to pay attention to those I am with and not watch who is texting or talking on the phone. If someone is yelling, then what your husband did is appropriate. If others want to talk in a normal tone of voice, i mind my own business and concentrate on my companions. I am too busy to worry and judge what anybody else does 

Yes.  And instead of ranting and raving, becoming annoyed, and letting this become the focus of someone's dinner out, it makes far more sense to simply make a polite request if it's really that bad.

It sounds as though that's eventually what happened, and the problem was solved.  There's no need for unnecessary drama.  The man was unaware, he became aware, and he stepped outside.  I don't see any kind of story worth complaining about.

None of us are perfect, and it would be nice if we could remember that.  Cutting each other some slack would make for a much happier world.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Unless their behavior is affecting me, I don't care what other people are doing. 

Personally, I don't sit in a restaurant looking at my cell phone every minute. 

I know others do, and that's their problem.

Agreed.

Regular Contributor

Cell phones are annoying no matter where.  Hate them.

Honored Contributor

July is tomorrow, let's see if we can get through it without any anti cell phones or facebook threads. Woman Wink

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

July is tomorrow, let's see if we can get through it without any anti cell phones or facebook threads. Woman Wink

......LOL or any other social media hate..... Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein