Trusted Contributor

Re: CDC says it’s safe to eat romaine from Salinas again. Outbreak appears to be over.

No more romaine for us-not worth the risk.

Honored Contributor

Re: CDC says it’s safe to eat romaine from Salinas again. Outbreak appears to be over.

I started eating it again over a week ago.

Honored Contributor

I don’t think I will ever eat romaine from large commercial growers ever again.I buy it locally grown in the summer and that is a nice treat that we look forward to.

Honored Contributor

I've been using different types of lettuce though I've seen romaine at Costco for months.

Honored Contributor

The product that came out of the fields yesterday might be safe, but what about the stuff that is still in the pipeline?  I don't believe retailers and suppliers throw out all they are supposed to.

Honored Contributor

@Tangocash wrote:

My BF says it comes from the pickers, who are out in the fields, and have no bathrooms other than just going where they are. They can't wash their hands... so they don't.

@Tangocash, that is not the cause of the contamination. It comes from manure getting into the water system.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

I don’t think I will ever eat romaine from large commercial growers ever again.I buy it locally grown in the summer and that is a nice treat that we look forward to.

@dex 

That's pretty much how I am leaning.  I have bought it a few times recently but it just doesn't taste the same as the locally grown I get in Spring and Summer around here, nevermind the potential hazard of the commercially produced stuff.

I did have a lovely baby kale salad yesterday.  I'm not big on raw kale when it's the large mature kind that I only cook, but the baby kale makes a great salad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not interested in what the CDC says, I'm done with ptomaine romaine. The growers have slipped up one too many times and they can now keep their products. I'll stick with other options.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Never stopped eating.

If my store sold it, I'm buying it.

I don't fall within the demographic who should avoid, so....

This pretty much describes my approach, too.  I love lettuce in my daily salad for lunch and of all the things I have to worry about, this just doesn’t make the list. Just finished a salad with romaine from the Yuma region. (BTW there not a lot of vitamins, minerals, etc. in iceberg lettuce.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tangocash wrote:

My BF says it comes from the pickers, who are out in the fields, and have no bathrooms other than just going where they are. They can't wash their hands... so they don't.

@Tangocash, that is not the cause of the contamination. It comes from manure getting into the water system.

@suzyQ3 

Yes, I think that is well understood now.

Well, except by those who want to keep pushing the dirty field worker idea.