Honored Contributor

Re: CDC: Don't eat romaine lettuce...again

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Not all lettuce comes from the area affected.

Seems 'hysteria' to not buy it if your reputable market sells it. 

It's not hysterical to check the label, no matter where you buy it.

@suzyQ3   Agree.  I'm not sure what it means by "reputable market", either.

The CDC is also saying to wash and sanitize all shelves where the lettuce was stored.

This isn't something to make light of;  and it isn't being hysterical to watch out for one's own health.  Considering the lettuce is part of the "plant based" mantra I would think folks would be extra cautious.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Ladies just a heads up. There are so many food items on the list of recalls. I ate bad chop meat and I was so sick [three weeks] I thought I was going to die. So please be careful and check in with recall lists. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It is not "hysteria" some stores sell items that I noticed should have been taken off shelves months ago. It is all about the $$$$$$$.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to get Romaine but since all that went on with it I never did go back.  I had been tempted but didnt. Now this!! I guess it will never be an option!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

It is not "hysteria" some stores sell items that I noticed should have been taken off shelves months ago. It is all about the $$$$$$$.

.....and that's where the 'reputable' description comes in.

Large, safe markets do not want the liability. They have the 

checks/balances to know exactly what stock they have available.

Respected Contributor

Just a suggestion: If your local stores carry *baby* romaine, get that. We like those little heads of lettuce, and they've always remained available throughout romaine recalls. I remember asking the Wegmans produce manager, who said they weren't sourced from the area(s) in question. Soon after, they put up a sign to that effect.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Romaine is my favorite lettuce, but I will check its source before throwing any into my cart.

Trusted Contributor

this upsets me.. love romaine in my salads.. i was dying last time i couldnt use it lol i went to spring mix and spinach... im sure it will keep happening

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
Just a suggestion: If your local stores carry *baby* romaine, get that. We like those little heads of lettuce, and they've always remained available throughout romaine recalls. I remember asking the Wegmans produce manager, who said they weren't sourced from the area(s) in question. Soon after, they put up a sign to that effect.

@Moonlady,  the reason the "baby" romaine was available was because it did not come from the recall area.

This is an excerpt from the CDC alert linked in the OP:

This advice includes all types of romaine lettuce harvested from Salinas, California such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and packages of precut lettuce and salad mixes which contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

checked our romaine and it is from YUMA, arizona.

thank you yuma!

it is the FOXY brand.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein