Esteemed Contributor

CDC: Don't eat romaine lettuce...again

Excerpts from:  https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2019/o157h7-11-19/index.html

Based on new information, CDC is advising that consumers not eat and retailers not sell any romaine lettuce harvested from the Salinas, California growing region.

This advice includes all types of romaine lettuce harvested from Salinas, California such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and packages of precut lettuce and salad mixes which contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: CDC: Don't eat romaine lettuce...again

I just saw that on the news. Wow.Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

This from the state that is so concerned about our health that they won't allow certain products to be shipped to anyone living in their state.

Honored Contributor

I quit eating Romain in any form about 2 years ago with a scare back then

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh shoot!  I just bought a six pack of romaine from Costco.  We ate three heads and have three left.

I just checked the label...and you guessed it.  I am so tired of throwing food away.

Thanks  for the heads up warning )  no pun intended)

F32BD568-A790-47F4-82C9-44B6E771235E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Not all lettuce comes from the area affected.

Seems 'hysteria' to not buy it if your reputable market sells it. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

This from the state that is so concerned about our health that they won't allow certain products to be shipped to anyone living in their state.

@rms1954, You are mixing up two very different things here: Prop 65, which mandates that any toxic element must be duly noted on packaging. It's a cautionary label on products. It doesn't mean that they can't be shipped. Of course there are things that you can't ship at all.

This has nothing to do with the outbreaks of contamination in product. Unfortunately they can be difficult to prevent, so early detection is important. It happens in other states as well, but California produces the most food in the nation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Not all lettuce comes from the area affected.

Seems 'hysteria' to not buy it if your reputable market sells it. 

It's not hysterical to check the label, no matter where you buy it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Oh shoot!  I just bought a six pack of romaine from Costco.  We ate three heads and have three left.

I just checked the label...and you guessed it.  I am so tired of throwing food away.

Thanks  for the heads up warning )  no pun intended)

F32BD568-A790-47F4-82C9-44B6E771235E.jpeg

@Carmie,  I wouldn't be so fast to throw it out if you've already eaten half of it without symptoms.  According to the CDC site people get sick in 2 to 8 days with the average being 3 to 4 days.  I have romaine from Salinas that I've been eating for more than a week with no problems.  I do not intend to throw it out after this period of time.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped eating it when the first  warning went out - discovered digestive system was happier..........so I've been buying spinach for salads and have always loved boston lettuce.  So delicate and sweet.Romaine often has thick chewy leaves.