QVC Customer Care

Re: CAN'T RETIRE BECAUSE OF COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE

Esteemed Contributor

@Spinach30 wrote:

I'm the OP.  From the posts I'm reading I'm finding this situation outrageous!!!!  What can we do?  What direction do we take this?  Who will listen?  Our government doesn't seem to care!!!!  This mess started with the creation of the ACA - now what??????????

I disagree. This mess started a very long time ago.  Health insurance was outrageously expensive long before the ACA, which at least made a dent in the problem by enabling many previously uninsured people to finally have health insurance.

Respected Contributor

@Spinach30 wrote:

I'm the OP.  From the posts I'm reading I'm finding this situation outrageous!!!!  What can we do?  What direction do we take this?  Who will listen?  Our government doesn't seem to care!!!!  This mess started with the creation of the ACA - now what??????????

This mess was going on for decades. I’d never have been able to retire and help my dad keep Mom home longer if I’d  not have been able to purchase health insurance. Winners and losers in everything I guess. If the answer were simple and everyone was a winner, the problem would’ve been solved long ago. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

A lot of the problems that some people aren't aware of, are that if you have a little above what is the lowest for medicaid, you don't get it. 

So picture a young person in a new job that makes enough (roommates or not) to get by

but not enough to pay for health insurance, yet too much to be eligible for medicaid.

Or a person elderly or disabled living on social security, who gets $1,000 or less a month, but that is too much to be eligible as well.

A lot of people for one reason or another, do not have much savings, if any, esp. if just starting out.

So it just goes around that those who have it don't always understand why others can't do it too.

Some people are very lucky, and some are not, and doing the best they can, in a system that has failed many.

I do think it is arrogant to believe that everyone can and does have a solution to these problems, just because they have managed to.My mother always said, if you have a choice of a job with a good salary or good health benefits, take the health benefits. But that was years ago. Now most jobs do not insure a good plan. 

Most of my children have health care with high deductibles and 80/20, which is awful.

If you have any procedure, xray, er visit etc you will be paying lots! And they have good jobs! One is a nurse. Her insurance is awful.

They often don't go to the doctor when they really need to.

I still wish we did have universal health care.

Universal health care is more expensive than private pay insurance.  Imagine living in Sweden.  They pay 61.8% percent of their income in taxes.  France has high taxes too, as does most of Europe.

My DH has a first cousin who was born in Europe.  She is a doctor there.  She makes very little money compared to what US doctors make. She can't afford to visit us in the US and she is single. The government paid for her education and she is an employee of the  government.  The government " owns" the doctors.

Do you really want that here?  I sure don't.

Be careful what you wish for.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spinach30 wrote:

I disagree. This mess started a very long time ago.  Health insurance was outrageously expensive long before the ACA, which at least made a dent in the problem by enabling many previously uninsured people to finally have health insurance.

@NYC Susan And to be successful, everyone had to participate. Because everyone at some point in time IS going to use their H coverage.  But now that's been negated so program has been damaged.  

Respected Contributor

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003...for sure, wink, wink.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spinach30 wrote:

Not to mention ACA ended the egregious practice of refusing insurance for pre-existing conditions and making preventative healthcare free.

Millions of people who couldn't have healthcare insurance were able to be insured because of the ACA .

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's the only reason DH is still working. It's ashamed people have to work until they are dead.

Our government needs to provide decent health care for all the people not just for them.

I suggest you go take a trip to the UK and wait in line for an operation.  6 months for cataract surgery.  Sound good to you?  Even my British friends, who live here, don’t want socialized medicine.  I lived in England for 5 years with my British husband. Our taxes were outrageous.  So, who do you think is paying  for free healthcare?  You are!

Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's the only reason DH is still working. It's ashamed people have to work until they are dead.

Our government needs to provide decent health care for all the people not just for them.

I suggest you go take a trip to the UK and wait in line for an operation.  6 months for cataract surgery.  Sound good to you?  Even my British friends, who live here, don’t want socialized medicine.  I lived in England for 5 years with my British husband. Our taxes were outrageous.  So, who do you think is paying  for free healthcare?  You are!

I know, right? Having a short wait for an elective surgery is soooo  much worse than not being able to get the surgery at all because you can't afford health insurance or the insurance you can afford is inadequate. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown