Respected Contributor

Re: CAN'T RETIRE BECAUSE OF COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE

I had to wait until 65 to retire because of that.  No way I could afford health insurance before I was eligible for Medicare. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

My husband is in the same boat. He is 65 and wants to retire but can’t because of me. He carries the health insurance. We have a very good plan and if he were to retire now he would be on Medicare and a supplemental plan but I would have garbage insurance for a whole lot of money. So he is continuing to work for another 18 months until I turn 65. I suppose I could maybe find a job with health insurance but at 63 who wants to hire me. Plus I’ve been out of the work force for 5 years. I sure I could manage some low paying grunt work job that would do nothing but pay for my health insurance but it’s only for another 

Does he have employer of private insurance. When my dad retired at 65 my mom had a year until 65. His employer he retired from covered my mom at the same rate and benefits until she was 65.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Ok we can go on Medicare when we turn 65.

How much does Supplemental Ins cost???

I have no clue. Is it going to be less then the $1000 the OP is talking about?

DH takes no scripts & I take NP Thyroid which I pay out of pocket now because our Ins will not pay for this natural medication.

I think my parents is less then 200 each. I think that might be because of his retirement plan

Respected Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

Why don't we demand our elected representatives do something about this situation? It seems like the United States has plenty of money to give away to foreign countries, why not demand change? We allow the NFL to not pay taxes, but working people are taxed to the hilt. 

Seriously?

Frequent Contributor

Unless wealthy, most people retire after they have paid off their mortgage and with that money freed up are able to use it for other things such as health care.  If you happen to live in one of the most expensive cities in the country then you need to look for a city that is less expensive in which to retire.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess the OP is like the rest of us and can’t retire early.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Spinach30  Did they not offer you a HMO?  I don't know how it works for your age but if you are retired you get choices for supplemental insurance.  However, I would think HMO's would be available.  Try Humana.  I hope it works out for you.  I ended up on disability for a few years but at retirement I was taken off disability and placed on SS, but on disability I was offered supplemental insurance.  Good luck to you.  I know you get sick of working at a point.  Can you cut your hours enough but still get insurance coverage from work?  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

With regard to affording insurance premiums, some cannot retire after the mortgage is paid off (freeing up more money for insurance) because they will rent their entire lives, especially if they are on a single income living in a more expensive area of the country. Divorced? Never married? Has the potential to drastically change options, even for someone who is “middle class”. I see it all the time.
Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze  I did that calculation and wish it were enough. I sure wish I could retire now, but after reading this, I might have to keep working until I'm 65 for health care.  

At least my retirement date is in the single digits for years now, but frankly, I'm tired out from a physical job all these years and tired of working full time....I've been working non-stop (except for a 3 month break in between jobs), for 42 years straight. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's the only reason DH is still working. It's ashamed people have to work until they are dead.

Our government needs to provide decent health care for all the people not just for them.

I totally agree.  Our country is too big to keep having insurance issues.  If the good insurance is good for the government it should be good for the rest.  I bet they have great dental as well.  Probably no co pays.  And they could afford it.