Valued Contributor

Re: CAN'T RETIRE BECAUSE OF COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE

Why don't we demand our elected representatives do something about this situation? It seems like the United States has plenty of money to give away to foreign countries, why not demand change? We allow the NFL to not pay taxes, but working people are taxed to the hilt. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

The OP possess an interesting question.  I'm 72 so I'm covered by Medicare AND I have additional health care.  I'm a widow but since I worked for the government way back they didn't take out social security, so I get my late husband's social security.  They take money out of that to pay for my Medicare.

So, I have one daughter who's husband is self employed (just him and she's on the payroll).  She has 4 children.  She has become (out of necessity) a person who knows everything about health insurance.

I heard a guy on TV say that more and more people are opting out of health insurance because if you don't go to the Drs much, you should do 'pay as you go'.

But a lot of Drs won't see you if you don't have any kind of health insurance...they want to know what you have when you make the appointment.

@Annabellethecat66

My tax guy was saying more and more people are opting to not purchase medical insurance and taking the IRS penalty instead....if you are healthy its cheaper than the ACA.  If they need medical care they go to a Redi-Care or Urgent Care Clinics, where I live there's one on every corner.  In one shopping center there is 3 of them.  People find it cheaper to pay as needed, but if they have a major medical issue or medical emergency, they are gonna be in trouble....But whats a person to do.

Im blessed,currently my employer subsidizes our health insurance premium which is rare these days, the co-pays and deductibles are affordable.  When I retire they give us a pension and a Health Care Spending Account distribution which will help pay towards a Medicare Supplement..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

That's one of the first things asked on the phone when making an appointment.

There's probably a lot of reasons why they ask that.  I can understand.  If the Dr wants you to have tests done who's to say someone is going to pay for them and on and on.

I think if you're young and you haven't encountered any health problems YET maybe that works, but it's just nature that as we all age our body breaks down...needing more and more medical care.

Just think of the cost of prescriptions!  I have one prescription that costs me a few dollars short of $300 every month!  

I paid out so much money and am so used to that one prescription costing that much, that in December when I went to get it filled it was only $20 some dollars.  I thought they'd given me the wrong medicine (once you get it they won't take it back).

I had the worker call over the pharmacist (she knows me) and she opened the bag, etc.  She said it was because I'd finally met my deductible on the medicine.

I can only get one kind of insurance because one of the medicines I take is only offered by one company.  I can't get it through any other company no matter the cost.

This country is so messed up when it comes to health care it's crazy!

We can thank the lobbyists for all of this.  These companies pour lots of money to these campaigns.  So it's a vicious circle.

It costs a lot of money to run a campaign and on and on.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

The OP possess an interesting question.  I'm 72 so I'm covered by Medicare AND I have additional health care.  I'm a widow but since I worked for the government way back they didn't take out social security, so I get my late husband's social security.  They take money out of that to pay for my Medicare.

So, I have one daughter who's husband is self employed (just him and she's on the payroll).  She has 4 children.  She has become (out of necessity) a person who knows everything about health insurance.

I heard a guy on TV say that more and more people are opting out of health insurance because if you don't go to the Drs much, you should do 'pay as you go'.

But a lot of Drs won't see you if you don't have any kind of health insurance...they want to know what you have when you make the appointment.

@Annabellethecat66.  I'd feel like I was skating on thin ice without health insurance.  It's fine until a catastrophic illness or injury strikes, and we know that can happen anytime.  It can ruin you financially for the rest of your life.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spinach30  Have you looked into Stanford Health Care Insurance in the Bay area?  It is new, and seems to be wonderful, and reasonable.  

I have not but thanks for the tip.  I'll look into it!

Esteemed Contributor

As someone posted -- health insurance is un-affordable. Even with corporate work bennies, it's a chunk out of the paycheck. 

We're planning to retire at 66 and go with Medicare, but this will require continued good health. I have friends who taught and qualified for pensions late 50s or early 60s. If working spouse with good bennies didn't happen for them, they found jobs after teaching just to pay for their $1,000 insurance until age 65.

My sis in law doesn't want to wait until 67 for full retirement benefits. Her husband isn't well. But just turning 60 -- she's so ready. Few options -- will have to wait.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

Why don't we demand our elected representatives do something about this situation? It seems like the United States has plenty of money to give away to foreign countries, why not demand change? We allow the NFL to not pay taxes, but working people are taxed to the hilt. 

Taxpayers also pay for the security at the Super Bowl. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alratiba, not everyone can work until they are 68. Most companies pitch you out at 50. People have health issues which prevents working that long. 

Esteemed Contributor

At the end of 2000, I started having medical symptoms -- BAD stomach aches and bleeding. I had just turneed 60 yrs old. I was unemployed - and was only able to get several part time jobs over the next 5 years - I didn't know the computer. Still no medical insurance. When I turned 65 yrs old at the end of 2005 and went on Medicare, I went to the doctor and told him that he'll find something. He did -- I had stage 3 Ovarian Cancer.

Fortunately, I had great doctors and medicines --- and I BEAT CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my life I had medical insurance - except when I needed it.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the same situation as many who've already responded.  Worked my whole life.  I was a few months short of qualifying for full retirement.  My Dad was struggling with Mom (dementia) and needed help to keep her home.  I retired early.

Cobra was great for 18 months. When that was done, I paid $1384 each month for health coverage.  This year it's less, $1160, but they cover less.  Deductible: $4950, Total out of pocket: $7500.  Got copays and coinsurance.  Lots of $ spent out of pocket.  I'm thankful I can at least still get insurance!

Counting down to Medicare.  Hate to wish my life away but can't wait to have such a small Medicare and Supplemental premium each month.  

I'd never consider going without coverage.  Like many my age, everything's paid off and retirement plan is working for us.  I'd never take a chance we'd lose some or all of what we worked our whole lives for if one of us would get a catastrophic illness.