Frequent Contributor

CAN'T RETIRE BECAUSE OF COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE

Are any of you in the same boat?  I'm 60 years old and I'm tired of working.  I started working after school at age 13 and haven't stopped since. Been in the financial industry for the last 20.   I've got a nice nest egg and invesments and thought I could do it.  Well,  I've called a number of insurance exchanges and the cheapest insurance I found is aorund $1,000 a month with a very high deductlbe.  Is this CRAZINESS????!!!!!!!!  By the way, I live in California (SF Bay Area).  I hope something can be done and very soon about the mess our medical insurance is right now.  I guess I'll continue to work a while longer - DARN IT!

Respected Contributor

Re: CAN'T RETIRE BECAUSE OF COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE

@Spinach30  I hear you.  I'm still working full-time at age 70.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband is in the same boat. He is 65 and wants to retire but can’t because of me. He carries the health insurance. We have a very good plan and if he were to retire now he would be on Medicare and a supplemental plan but I would have garbage insurance for a whole lot of money. So he is continuing to work for another 18 months until I turn 65. I suppose I could maybe find a job with health insurance but at 63 who wants to hire me. Plus I’ve been out of the work force for 5 years. I sure I could manage some low paying grunt work job that would do nothing but pay for my health insurance but it’s only for another couple of years. 

Honored Contributor

I pay for insurance via my employer that covers nothing until a bus runs me over.  When for the first time in my life I needed a claim other than a wellness check and my insurance company kept my $2000 plus in annual premiums AND handed me back my $2000 in medical expenses for a broken wrist and told me to pay them too, I was done. 

The fact that we allow that in this country is unconscionable.  Basically you have an entire industry taking premium money and then keeping all of it scot free.  Why are we allowing that?  The millenials have it right with taking the tax penalty instead.  

Honestly, unless I have health issues, I may wing it until if and when Medicare is still around for me at 65.  How sad a statement is that for this country?  

Honored Contributor

That's the only reason DH is still working. It's ashamed people have to work until they are dead.

Our government needs to provide decent health care for all the people not just for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't mind Kaiser, it might have lower rates.  They are all over the SF Bay Area, @Spinach30, as you probably know.

I used them for a couple of years until I was old enough for Medicare.  Not my favorite, but the cost was the lowest.

ETA:  You can get a quote online.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Can I give Laura a BILLION HEARTS. LOL!!!

We have had Ins like that too in the past. It's BS when you pay those premiums plus still have to pay all your medical bills.

Right now we have really good Ins. DH should have it until he's able to collect SS. We are only paying 10%.

If he keeps working after he's able to collect his SS a new Contractor will be coming in so I'm sure things will change in a big way. At least he will be old enough to say I'm out of here.

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby is\s 66 and on Medicare with supplements and I am paying 1,000 a month for my healthcare until I am 65....19 months..

We are using our nest egg to pay for it until then.

I am not on any meds and had a great physical a year ago before he went on Medicare.. I am not going to the Dr unless I have to because my deductible is high.

Hoping to remain healthy for 19 months..

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, that is why most of us held out to age 65 (for Medicare)~! My dad retired early due to health reasons, and his OOP was horrendous...it drained his savings.  If you're healthy (mentally & physically) then hang in there a few more years.

I listen to finanical advisors ...  heard that in order to "retire" & be fiscally sound, perform this math synopsis below:

Your age  X  yearly salary .... divide by 10 = (Liquid assets)

If you have this much saved ... retire !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so glad that DH and I did our entire careers as Civil Servants (and great health insurance and pensions).  I'm sure we didn't appreciate it in our twenties but DH  started having major cardiac problems in his early thirties (heart attacks, quad bypass, aortic aneurysm, and much more). I was fine except having a baby at 45.  DHs healthcare has run into millions.  He was 56 and I was 63 when we retired concurrently.  BCBS was our insurance and affordable until we were eligible for Medicare as well.  You never appreciate good health coverage unless you don't have it.