Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@Another new name Sue wrote:

Clean your raingutters, put extensions on the down-pipes to direct water away from the house if necessary.  Pick up some sandbags if you have areas which overfill with water and might flow into an unwanted area, like the garage, for example. 

 

All the hoopla about El Nino, doesn't it just remind you of the Y2K thing?


**************************

 

I see your point, lol.

 

We're seeing comparisons between the 2015 El Nino and the one in 1997. 

 

The good thing is that we had some rain the other day which at least watered the outside foliage.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@HB glamma wrote:

I am in SoCal...near Palm Springs, in desert.  I don't know about all these El Nino scare tactics.  I surely hope we aren't all paralyzed by weather events and I do pray for rain, snow and relief from drought, BUT it bothered me when we were all advised in CA, even the desert, to purchase flood insurance and now you OP are spending alot of $ preparing for blackouts.  I don't know anymore what's real and what is a scare tactic and way to increase spending


***************************

 

Huh? I bought a few inexpensive lanterns, that's not a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@Plaid Pants2 wrote:
@foundinlv wrote:

Fact is, the OP states PGE has issued a warning that we're in for blackouts and brownouts this El Nino season and that is a total fabrication.

 

 

 

Fact - 

 

 

A strong El Nino can contribute to stronger storms.

 

Fact - 

 

Stronger storms can mean more power outages.

 

It is good to be prepared just in case, yes?

 

 

 



************************************

 

Thanks for the facts, PP Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,415
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings

[ Edited ]

It's still only early December, not even officially winter yet.

Northern California doesn't normally get the bulk of its rainfall until January, February, March.  It's way too soon for people to say they "don't believe."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,886
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings

 


@gardensla wrote:

Between that and Sig Alerts, gonna be one long winter!


Ain't that the truth! The first raindrop falls and the car wrecks begin. You wouldn't think you'd need a hazardous driving course to know to slow down in the rain.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings

  Preparation and Response
Prepare for power outages that may affect you, and learn how PG&E is responding.
 
 
PGE announcement referred to earlier.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,616
Registered: ‎10-01-2014

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@house_cat wrote:

 


@gardensla wrote:

Between that and Sig Alerts, gonna be one long winter!


Ain't that the truth! The first raindrop falls and the car wrecks begin. You wouldn't think you'd need a hazardous driving course to know to slow down in the rain.


@house_cat, you ought to try living where it snows! Everyone forgets what they learned last winter.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 724
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings

This post has been removed by QVC because it's argumentative

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,886
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@MaggieMack wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

 


@gardensla wrote:

Between that and Sig Alerts, gonna be one long winter!


Ain't that the truth! The first raindrop falls and the car wrecks begin. You wouldn't think you'd need a hazardous driving course to know to slow down in the rain.


@house_cat, you ought to try living where it snows! Everyone forgets what they learned last winter.


Oh, I have tried that! Many years - and the driving in it was what I hated most.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings


@HB glamma wrote:

I am in SoCal...near Palm Springs, in desert.  I don't know about all these El Nino scare tactics.  I surely hope we aren't all paralyzed by weather events and I do pray for rain, snow and relief from drought, BUT it bothered me when we were all advised in CA, even the desert, to purchase flood insurance and now you OP are spending alot of $ preparing for blackouts.  I don't know anymore what's real and what is a scare tactic and way to increase spending


**********************************

 

@HB glamma

 

Just to clarify, the only thing I've bought are a few lanterns, I already have quite a few holiday flameless candles from QVC which are great to put around a dark house and I don't have to worry about the kitties knocking them over.

 

The new LED lanterns are very inexpensive, one I bought today was $15, others were mobile versions, 4 for $20, not a fortune.

 

Look on QVC if you are interested, they have good prices.

 

Sand bags are FREE.

 

According to PGE, I'm doing the right thing, see below Smiley Happy

 

Preparation and Response
Prepare for power outages that may affect you, and learn how PG&E is responding.