Honored Contributor

Re: CALIFORNIA: Blackout Warnings

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Clean your raingutters, put extensions on the down-pipes to direct water away from the house if necessary.  Pick up some sandbags if you have areas which overfill with water and might flow into an unwanted area, like the garage, for example. 

All the hoopla about El Nino, doesn't it just remind you of the Y2K thing?

I see your point, lol.

We're seeing comparisons between the 2015 El Nino and the one in 1997. 

The good thing is that we had some rain the other day which at least watered the outside foliage.

Honored Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:

I am in SoCal...near Palm Springs, in desert.  I don't know about all these El Nino scare tactics.  I surely hope we aren't all paralyzed by weather events and I do pray for rain, snow and relief from drought, BUT it bothered me when we were all advised in CA, even the desert, to purchase flood insurance and now you OP are spending alot of $ preparing for blackouts.  I don't know anymore what's real and what is a scare tactic and way to increase spending

Huh? I bought a few inexpensive lanterns, that's not a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:
@foundinlv wrote:

Fact is, the OP states PGE has issued a warning that we're in for blackouts and brownouts this El Nino season and that is a total fabrication.

Fact - 

A strong El Nino can contribute to stronger storms.

Fact - 

Stronger storms can mean more power outages.

It is good to be prepared just in case, yes?

Thanks for the facts, PP Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's still only early December, not even officially winter yet.

Northern California doesn't normally get the bulk of its rainfall until January, February, March.  It's way too soon for people to say they "don't believe."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

Between that and Sig Alerts, gonna be one long winter!

Ain't that the truth! The first raindrop falls and the car wrecks begin. You wouldn't think you'd need a hazardous driving course to know to slow down in the rain.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Preparation and Response
Prepare for power outages that may affect you, and learn how PG&E is responding.

PGE announcement referred to earlier.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

Ain't that the truth! The first raindrop falls and the car wrecks begin. You wouldn't think you'd need a hazardous driving course to know to slow down in the rain.

@house_cat, you ought to try living where it snows! Everyone forgets what they learned last winter.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's argumentative

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

@house_cat, you ought to try living where it snows! Everyone forgets what they learned last winter.

Oh, I have tried that! Many years - and the driving in it was what I hated most.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:

I am in SoCal...near Palm Springs, in desert.  I don't know about all these El Nino scare tactics.  I surely hope we aren't all paralyzed by weather events and I do pray for rain, snow and relief from drought, BUT it bothered me when we were all advised in CA, even the desert, to purchase flood insurance and now you OP are spending alot of $ preparing for blackouts.  I don't know anymore what's real and what is a scare tactic and way to increase spending

@HB glamma

Just to clarify, the only thing I've bought are a few lanterns, I already have quite a few holiday flameless candles from QVC which are great to put around a dark house and I don't have to worry about the kitties knocking them over.

The new LED lanterns are very inexpensive, one I bought today was $15, others were mobile versions, 4 for $20, not a fortune.

Look on QVC if you are interested, they have good prices.

Sand bags are FREE.

According to PGE, I'm doing the right thing, see below Smiley Happy

Preparation and Response
Prepare for power outages that may affect you, and learn how PG&E is responding.