Honored Contributor

Re: CA Teen Fights off Bear to Protect Dogs

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Deree wrote:

I didn't notice the bear picking up the small dog on the video.  Perhaps the particular video I saw on the news didn't show that.  If a bear picked up my dog, my beloved family member, I'm sure I'd react in the same way.  But one thing's for sure -- I would never leave my dogs outside, unattended, in bear country.  I believe the woman is right near a national forest too with other wild animals.  There are hawks too that will pick up a small dog.

@Deree   Also, raccoons will kill a dogs and cats.

And they'll raid bird nests for eggs and chicks.

We also had one kill several of our chickens when I was growing up.....caught him in the act.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

What an awesome girl!   She'll be a great mom one day.  

Honored Contributor

I saw the video on Tik Tok.  It was a brown bear (it looked like it) and they are much more aggressive then the smaller black bear.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, I don't think I saw the post from yesterday either. I saw the story on the news, but it's always interesting to read some of comments. Not a problem for me that it was another post of the same story!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I saw the video on Tik Tok.  It was a brown bear (it looked like it) and they are much more aggressive then the smaller black bear.  

Actually, California only has black bears, which is a little bit confusing, since they can be blond, brown, or black.  

Most of us who live/have lived there, have come across them.  For the most part, they avoid people and aren't a threat.  The exception would be if they have cubs with them.