Honored Contributor

Re: CA Shooting, 12 Dead on 'Student Night' at Bar

I've been to the Borderline, an innocent night of fun turned into a horrific nightmare.  There are no words.  So many lives changed. The deranged shooter chose to take his own life, the innocent had no choice.   

Super Contributor

So Tragic. No one is safe any place and that is scary!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oostende wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is "the civilized world" @bathina?

And which countries are uncivilized

Lawless countries where anarchy is the rule. Somalia and Syria come to mind. I'm assuming they have higher gun violence than we do. I guess we're in good company, huh?

P.s. Honduras comes in at number 1 on the list.

Trusted Contributor

Heartbreaking! No place is safe anymore.

Seems that no one is willing to try to figure out how to keep this from happening, so it's going to continue. We will continue to see thoughts and prayers but no action. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina  If one country has easy access to guns and another doesn't, it doesn't take Einstein to know that the country with easy access is going to have more incidents.

It's no different than comparing our motor vehicle accident rate with those countries and people of the Saharan and Arabian deserts.  I guarantee we have more transportation deaths than they do even if we throw in their camel fall statistics.  

Valued Contributor

@bathina, I see.  Those are indeed countries fraught with danger.  I would hesitate before I lumped the U.S.A. in with them.  

Thank you for your response.

I do see that Switzerland and Israel both have higher gun ownership rates than many European countries with fewer homicides and lower rates of violent crime than countries with more strict gun control.

The Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence shows there is no clear relationship between gun control and violent crime.  Gun loving Idaho, where you can open carry, has lower instances of homicide than Illinois, which has stricter gun control.

I'm afraid those looking for a simple solution will be disappointed.

Honored Contributor

It doesn’t matter much how we compare to the rest of the world for the victims and their families of these tragic acts of violence.It is important that we continue to be outraged that this occurs at all in our civilized society.Way too many days of remembrance,tears and families missing loved ones....just want it to stop..Too many people missing at the family table this year for what?

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting