Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

@Jenn1776 wrote:
I just tried to place an order and the representative I spoke to had no idea why they weren’t shipping to California. Her customer service skills need some work, when I said QVC will be losing a lot of money, she said “If that’s what happens, that’s what happens”. Didn’t seem to care at all that I couldn’t place an order.

@Jenn1776  I spoke to customer service about an item last week, and she told me to contact the manugacturer, which of course is in China, an absurd statement for her to make.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

actually what you need to know beyond presence of a chemical is if the amount is in any way threatening.  this is a bit fat "miss" on that.  

"By law, a warning must be given for listed chemicals unless the exposure is low enough to pose no significant risk of cancer or is significantly below levels observed to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

In other words, if there is a warning, there is risk of exposure to unsafe levels of the chemical.

And by "exposure" they mean: 

"Coming into contact with a substance, for example by swallowing, breathing, or touching the skin or eyes."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@Serendipity

I agree.  I would mever want a lead wick.  I would think it could harm birds even in your home. And breathing it, not my cuppa.  I also like the new law of listing what in the heck is in it and why they are notifying us.  Before I would get this notice.  "Warning this product contains a chemical known by the state of california to cause cancer, blah blah blah."  It was confusing.  I once got a food item that said that.  It was the bow on the box that had a chemical in the dye that might be dangerous.  But when you know what it is you can make a judgement.  I can eat the food and throw the bow out...simple.   I had to call the company though.  I think it was rocky mountain chocolates, 

@shoekitty How interesting, Well, in a case like that, all they have to do is repackage without the bow. And they might save a penny or two. It's the chocolate you want! 😊 Indeed, these changes are what will make the warnings of greater relevance to a consumer. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not to bring this up again, but............

There used to be (many, many years ago) a warning on dryer sheets:  Keep away from children, skin, etc.

Now, since I keep away from the laundry aisle now-a-days because of the strong scents, I don't know if that warning is still on the dryer sheet packaging.

Also, on the Today Show the last week of August, I believe on a Friday, a veterinian warned folks regarding essential oil and fragrance plug-in-types of room fragrances.  Not necessarily one particular brand.  To keep pets away from them because of the damage to their tiny lungs (cats) and also dogs.  Resulting in many seizures, severe breathing problems, allergies. 

So, of course, at the time I wondered why they didn't at least mention babies, young children because of their very tiny lungs.

Well, that's all for now.

We just need a lot of good luck now-a-days.  That's for sure.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
New Contributor

This is super infuriating. I’ve tried to order two items: one a camera and the other a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow. They say this is due to prop 65 but both of these items are sold on the shelves here in the state and when I go to other websites, such as Target or Nordstrom, they are able to ship the same item to me in California. I think it’s a glitch in QVC system.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Serendipity wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

actually what you need to know beyond presence of a chemical is if the amount is in any way threatening.  this is a bit fat "miss" on that.  

"By law, a warning must be given for listed chemicals unless the exposure is low enough to pose no significant risk of cancer or is significantly below levels observed to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

In other words, if there is a warning, there is risk of exposure to unsafe levels of the chemical.

And by "exposure" they mean: 

"Coming into contact with a substance, for example by swallowing, breathing, or touching the skin or eyes."

i'm afraid that this may be well-intended in concept - but very difficult in execution.  why? yesterday i was in the supermarket which is now covered in warning notices, here there and yon.   it is impossible for them to research/ monitor every product so they are covering themselves      

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I just tried to buy two pairs of shoes to support the FFANY cause.  Because I reside in California, I'm unable to buy two pairs of shoes.  FRUSTRATING.  QVC, you are the only out of state vendor I have trouble receiving packages. 

QVC puts warnings in a little box on screen stating they can't ship to due to whatever state regulations -- except they won't put up the warning for this shippment restriction - QVC won't put a label on.  Shoppers get excited to purchase a product, then not until check-out shopper finds out they can't buy it and can't receive at their home. 

The best voice I have, QVC, is to not purchase from you.  Take a look at my purchase history. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mstress.  Sorry that happened to you.  I live in CA,too, and haven't had this happen to me yet, with QVC purchases.  I guess you don't know, until you hit the "place order" icon? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It may not be the item itself, but the actual packaging used when shipping.

Highlighted
New Contributor

this is just getting to be too much. tried to order shoes and was told could not be delivered to california. guess i'll just add this to my list of complaints that have all of a sudden popped up in the last 3 weeks or so with the Q. all they need is a warning re: prop 65 as far as i know. it is up to the consumer to decide. what could possibly be in a pair of shoes?????  are they going to explode on my feet. i'm sure its the lawyers that is causing all this.  come on QVC you still have time to do right by your customers.