Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

@vjo wrote:

I am beyond furious that I can't order anything since I live in the insane state of calif.  I hate the politics here.  I want a sweater made out of cotton, and polyester.  Thanks gov moonbeam.  I hope QVC can help us cold people that need sweaters.  

@vjo  @Sunshine45  Here is a phone number of who can be contacted re this issue.

A new bill in the California State Assembly (AB 2379, introduced Feb. 14) would require all clothing made from fabric that is more than 50 percent polyester to bear a conspicuous label warning that the garment sheds plastic microfibers when washed and recommending hand washing. Under this bill, the sale or offering for sale of such clothing without this label would be prohibited on and after Jan. 1, 2020. Hats and shoes would be exempt.

According to the bill, garments made from synthetic fibers such as polyester can shed up to 1,900 microfibers per wash. Because these fibers “are small enough to get past filters,” a press release from bill sponsor Richard Bloom states, “they’re ending up in waterways and the ocean.” The bill asserts that microfibers “pose a serious threat to the environment and have been found within fish and shellfish that are consumed by humans.”

The bill is asserted to be in line with other California efforts at reducing water pollution, including a ban on personal care products containing plastic microbeads that the press release notes “was eventually applied nationally … through federal legislation signed by President Obama.” Other California efforts include standardized compostability labeling, a requirement for polystyrene packaging to be recycled, and Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986.

The California Fashion Association registered its opposition to the bill, warning that, like Prop 65, it could result in a “raft of phony ‘class action’ lawsuits” against businesses.

For more information, please contact Elise Shibles at (415) 490-1403.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/general-info/proposition-65-plain-language

Over 800 chemicals/substances on the list including acetaminophen and caffeine!

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/chemicals

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't get my Skechers I wanted--Oh well. Found them on ebay and cheaper.

Highlighted
New Contributor

QVC is not shipping anything from California I’ve buying anything and they won’t ship I guess qvc doesn’t mind losing millions on California.. I’ve returned anything I purchased and blocked the station because they haven’t addressed the problem to any of there customers.. not coming back., my husband is happy 😊
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some asked for the actual side by side comparison for what went into effect Aug. 30. Here is a main segment excerpted, directly from: 

TITLE 27 CAL CODE OF REGS. ARTICLE 6 CLEAR & REASONABLE WARNINGS:Side-by-Side Comparison

Previous warning:

§ 25603.2 Consumer Products Exposure Warnings – Content(a) The warning message must include the following language:

1. For consumer products that contain a chemical known to the state to cause cancer:
"WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer."

2. For consumer products that contain a chemical known to the state to cause reproductive toxicity:

"WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

New warning:

(a) Unless otherwise specified in Section 25607.1 et seq., a warning meets the requirements of this subarticle if it is provided using one or more of the methods required in Section 25602 and includes all the following elements:

(1) A symbol consisting of a black exclamation point in a yellow equilateral triangle with a bold black outline. Where the sign, label or shelf tag for the product is not printed using the color yellow, the symbol may be printed in

black and white. The symbol shall be placed to the left of the text of the warning, in a size no smaller than the height of the word “WARNING”.

(2) The word “WARNING:” in all capital letters and bold print, and:

(A) For exposures to listed carcinogens, the words, “This product can expose you to chemicals including [name of one or more chemicals], which is [are] known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

(B) For exposures to listed reproductive toxicants, the words, “This product can expose you to chemicals including [name of one or more chemicals], which is [are] known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.”

(C) For exposures to both listed carcinogens and reproductive toxicants, the words, “This product can expose you to chemicals including [name of one or more chemicals], which is [are] known to the State of California to cause cancer, and [name of one or more chemicals], which is [are] known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

(D) For exposures to a chemical that is listed as both a carcinogen and a reproductive toxicant, the words, “This product can expose you to chemicals including [name of one or more chemicals], which is [are] known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

(E) Where a warning is being provided for an exposure to a single chemical the words “chemicals including” may be deleted from the warning content set out in subsections (A), (B) and (D).
(b) A short-form warning may be provided on the product label using all the following elements:
(1) The symbol required in subsection (a)(1).
(2) The word “
WARNING:” in all capital letters, in bold print.
(A) For exposures to listed carcinogens, the words, “Cancer - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.”
(B) For exposures to listed reproductive toxicants, the words, “Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.”

To read the full side by side comparison, for the new regs that went into effect Aug. 30, and companies have known about for two years, go to the below link and scroll down.

https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/crnr/side-sidearticle6.pdf

It's complicated, but this will help to inform us and make the decisions we want to make.

If there is a candle with a lead-core wick, personally no, I don't want it in my home, exposing people, pets or anything else.

If coffee or chips have an acrylimide warning, then you can decide if that is a reasonable purchase to you.

The point is you can make an informed decision.

Why should any manufacturer be selling items with lead or formaldehye or other known toxic components and not give us the choice to decide for ourselves?

As an aside, I just read this article in the LA. Times, it has nothing to do with Prop. 65, but I thought some of you might appreciate the info. (blood pressure medicine from China)

When your prescription drug is tainted with a chemical 'used to make rocket fuel'

http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-contaminated-prescription-drugs-20180907-story...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Serendipity

I agree.  I would mever want a lead wick.  I would think it could harm birds even in your home. And breathing it, not my cuppa.  I also like the new law of listing what in the heck is in it and why they are notifying us.  Before I would get this notice.  "Warning this product contains a chemical known by the state of california to cause cancer, blah blah blah."  It was confusing.  I once got a food item that said that.  It was the bow on the box that had a chemical in the dye that might be dangerous.  But when you know what it is you can make a judgement.  I can eat the food and throw the bow out...simple.   I had to call the company though.  I think it was rocky mountain chocolates, 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

actually what you need to know beyond presence of a chemical is if the amount is in any way threatening.  this is a bit fat "miss" on that.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Dulwich wrote:

Under Customer Care there is a discussion on this as poster cannot receive her jeans she ordered from Q and another lady a top she ordered  - very frustrating maybe Q wondering if it is possible for Q to post list of items not allowed to be shipped to CA save a lot of hassle.

@Dulwich  Q should mention it in presentations and in the item description of every product not allowed into California.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Chessylady wrote:

California is a huge market, any company willing to write it off based on a warning label didn't do much business there to begin with. QVC will find a way to continue to do business in California, they just opened up new shipping locations here. 

@Chessylady  I was buying plants from one company one year, the next year it wasn't selling to California, too expensive for some reason, the next year, the company was again selling to California, guess it lost too much business so was worth it to come back.