Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

I’m steaming mad!  I just tried to order an Issac Mizrahi watch and I got this warning:

Error occurred. unfortunately, this item cannot be sent to the requested Ship-to-Address. This may be due to a shipping restriction or lack of service at that address.  Please enter an alternative address or remove your item.

i spoke with CS. She said it’s a “new California thing”.  Well, I guess they are refusing to label as required by the law now.  I’m not going to ask my son in CO or my friends in other states to go through the hassle of shipping me a $29 watch.

Whelp, they have just lost this sale, me watching the channels, and me ordering from them...ever again!  Lots of things have changed, prices have skyrocketed, shipping costs on return items are ridiculous...I am done!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's all about avoiding litigation.  Somebody somewhere would take those manufacturers to court.  Guarantee it.

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

When a Ca resident tries to purchase something from qvc that is prohibited by prop 65, what's stopping him from asking a relative out of state to purchase it and place it into a shipping box.  

Unless every post office in Ca is going to inspect every single package and cardboard box, how is prop 65 really working except as an inconvenience.  

I have relatives all over the country as I'm sure many residents in Ca do.  

Unless there is a fail safe way to ensure no products get into Ca that are prohibited by prop 65....it's just dumb.  

Prop65 is not intended to prevent items from entering CA but rather to inform the purchaser that it contains  chemicals that might cause cancer or birth defects, as well as harm the environment.  The equivalent of informed consent.

Quite true.  QVC seems to be afraid that recipients will be shocked by seeing such a warning label and will automatically return the item, blaming QVC.  I imagine QVC knows that many of its customers are not very sophisticated.

I just tried to order a tarte product via Customer Service but they couldn't override the shipping prohibition QVC has placed on these items even though I explained I was aware of the warning and would not be sending it back in mock horror at seeing some warning label.  I even offered to put it in writing.  

I do hope QVC's legal department figures this out better.

I am not in favor of polluting our waters by any means, but I do agree this shipping prohibition is a heavy-handed way to approach the problem.  This decision seems a lot like QVC's fear of showing an item on screen that has sold out, putting it out of sight of viewers.  

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Homegirl

I don't know why these threads keep popping up.  I don't know what is so so hard to understand.  The items can enter california. Although I did sneak some pourable liquid Gold in once from a friend.  You can buy these items.  It os just qvc and a few other vendors did not meet the deadline to to put notice on items sold that they contain a chemical or ingredient known that might cause illness.  They had 2 years to do it.  The items have to have notice., , so they cannot be sold until they contain notice.  I buy items every day that has warning labels.  Even cat food.  Doesn't mean it is cancer causing, just letting you know their is something in product that isn't good for you.  You still have choice to buy it or not.  There is hardly even a food item that doesn't have a warning label.  Some even warn you it can make fat.  Labels warn you it is made in a factory with allergens.  They cover their buts, because some people can be sue happy..  

I was even on a flight not too long ago that didn't serve peanuts because someone on that flight had an extreme, allergy.  So, I am sure as soon as the vendors label their products you will be able to buy them.  

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I ran into this as well. I ordered Susan Graver items two weeks ago, liked them so much I wanted to order another color - and found out I can't get ANY Susan Graver items shipped to me. When I inquired, the customer service rep did know it was due to California regulations - "we know you all want to be green and everything out there." UGH TALK ABOUT FRUSTRATING! What could possibly be in a pair of pants that would poison me? Thank God my brother is moving to Nevada, I'll have to ask him to be the pass along. I'd like to think eventually QVC will update its packaging. 

This is also the case with many cosmetic products. But when I order from Sephora, there is a wanring up front when items can't be shipped to certain states so I don't waste my time. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's about not buying items that have chemicals that are known to cause cancer

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Homegirl

I don't know why these threads keep popping up.  I don't know what is so so hard to understand.  The items can enter california. Although I did sneak some pourable liquid Gold in once from a friend.  You can buy these items.  It os just qvc and a few other vendors did not meet the deadline to to put notice on items sold that they contain a chemical or ingredient known that might cause illness.  They had 2 years to do it.  The items have to have notice., , so they cannot be sold until they contain notice.  I buy items every day that has warning labels.  Even cat food.  Doesn't mean it is cancer causing, just letting you know their is something in product that isn't good for you.  You still have choice to buy it or not.  There is hardly even a food item that doesn't have a warning label.  Some even warn you it can make fat.  Labels warn you it is made in a factory with allergens.  They cover their buts, because some people can be sue happy..  

I was even on a flight not too long ago that didn't serve peanuts because someone on that flight had an extreme, allergy.  So, I am sure as soon as the vendors label their products you will be able to buy them.  

I hope you didn't write this just for me.  I already understand the situation, @shoekitty

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Valerie's cut glass lamps were unavailable for California I suppose due to lead, but unless someone ingests lead, I am not aware that it can cause damage to a person.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

When a Ca resident tries to purchase something from qvc that is prohibited by prop 65, what's stopping him from asking a relative out of state to purchase it and place it into a shipping box.  

Unless every post office in Ca is going to inspect every single package and cardboard box, how is prop 65 really working except as an inconvenience.  

I have relatives all over the country as I'm sure many residents in Ca do.  

Unless there is a fail safe way to ensure no products get into Ca that are prohibited by prop 65....it's just dumb.  

Prop65 is not intended to prevent items from entering CA but rather to inform the purchaser that it contains  chemicals that might cause cancer or birth defects, as well as harm the environment.  The equivalent of informed consent.

@MarpIt's having that affect. Do any other states demand that a company change their labeling?  Ca does not have legal authority like the federal govt to force a company to change its labeling.  For one thing it costs money and maybe they don't want to pay for it and feel Ca should pay it since no one else (another State) is complaining.  Any company that has done so, does so voluntarily.  Anyone who really wants a product that is suddenly prohibited from entering Ca due to the label issue, can still get it from a friend or relative who lives in another state and ship it out to them. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Homegirl

I tried to purchase a camera this weekend and ordered online .....  and when I went to complete the order, it told me they cannot ship it to California!    A camera? 

Well, it's off to Best Buy ........