Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

p.s.:  I have 'another feeling' that those people in CA probably are very used to seeing all of those warnings on just about everything they purchase.

If QVC  decides to mention it to those CA people, I'm sure it wouldn't be anything new (to them).  And wouldn't affect sales, more or less.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the rest of the country; they'll get used to it.

'All in all', it just might prompt people to wash their hands before touching/eating food.  Also, wash sprays off of clothing items, and be more careful re: babies and children's items/clothing.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

'Neither here nor there', so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It just 'dawned on me' that I see folks spraying and sprinkling all sorts of weed killers, fertilizers, etc. on their lawns, bare-handed.

Who knows if they go back into their houses and wash their hands before touching/eating food.

Sometimes some people need a warning to 'remind' themselves to be more careful. 

'Just saying'.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Is a resurrected thread about california that got deleted? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY 1

Unfortunately, these chemicals often cannot just be washed off

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

just put the warning in the product description on-line and let me decide, thank you very much. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When a Ca resident tries to purchase something from qvc that is prohibited by prop 65, what's stopping him from asking a relative out of state to purchase it and place it into a shipping box.  

Unless every post office in Ca is going to inspect every single package and cardboard box, how is prop 65 really working except as an inconvenience.  

I have relatives all over the country as I'm sure many residents in Ca do.  

Unless there is a fail safe way to ensure no products get into Ca that are prohibited by prop 65....it's just dumb.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

When a Ca resident tries to purchase something from qvc that is prohibited by prop 65, what's stopping him from asking a relative out of state to purchase it and place it into a shipping box.  

Unless every post office in Ca is going to inspect every single package and cardboard box, how is prop 65 really working except as an inconvenience.  

Unless there is a fail safe way to ensure no products get into Ca that are prohibited by prop 65....it's just dumb.  

this is basically how i avoid this inconvenience.

i usually ship all items to my maryland address.

then, when i am headed to CA, i just pack the items in my suitcase and take them there. also interesting that no one ever stops me when i cross the border from mexico into california to inspect the goods that i purchased.

Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand. - Dr. Seuss
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I just tried to place an order and the representative I spoke to had no idea why they weren’t shipping to California. Her customer service skills need some work, when I said QVC will be losing a lot of money, she said “If that’s what happens, that’s what happens”. Didn’t seem to care at all that I couldn’t place an order.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Prop65 is not intended to prevent items from entering CA but rather to inform the purchaser that it contains  chemicals that might cause cancer or birth defects, as well as harm the environment.  The equivalent of informed consent.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Being perfect must be a heavy burden.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live near Silicon Valley.  I cant tell you how many catastrophes have happened around here with tech companies, and semi conductors, etc.   Prop 65, has helped.  Anyone who doesn't want to comply, might have something to hide....or a product that has harmful chemicals.  Anyone who lives in California might remember the Fairchild toxic incidence.  So many children born with disabilities.  So many miscarriages! All the fish killed with dumping in lakes, rivers, streams.  Even a company not too long ago that made flares, had the pertochlorite from their waste disposal leached  into ground water .  Contaminating wells for miles.    12 years later some people still cannot use their wells. 

Fumes from many lead surfaces can heat and hurt people.  Its a big world out there. We need to think of others as well.  I see warnings all over California, but I can still buy the product.  The companies are just not libel if they post notice.  The chemical in some dark roast coffees can be dangerous to some people or in abundance.   Just like in some decafs and teas.  You can buy it, but you are warned.  I have a friend who is very sensitive to chemicals and medications as well.

A few years ago i fell on love with Dunkin Donuts dark k-cups.  I could not order them from Dunkin donuts, said cannot ship to CA.  I emailed them why?  They said that chemical they used in the dark roast only could not be shipped to CA, but I could order the original .  I did wind up purchasing them on ebay.  Problem solved

now the stores sell Dunkin dark, but not then