Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

I work for a company that manufactures kitchen products.  They are made with some plastic.  They have been in business for over 40 years.  Never any issues.  BPA free, etc. 

Even though this is FDA food grade approved plastic, California will no longer let the product be sold there without the warning.

The company could either redo all their packaging, place stickers on the package, or stop selling to California.

They chose to stop selling to California.  It was just too costly to redo all the packaging.  They also felt that a big warning sticker would just scare customers away so they didn't go that route either.

I work in sales and customer service for their website and Amazon store.  Last week I removed California from the list of states we ship to.

We also removed any brick and mortar stores in California that did wholesale accounts with us.

I'm sure many of the vendors with QVC haven't fixed their packaging or have chosen not to. 

Here's an example of what has to be on every package now :

71PuGlf3PoL._SL1000_.jpg

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This sign is on the Starbucks in Fresno, Sacramento in the photo.  This is how crazy Prop 65 has gone.star.JPG

Highlighted
Super Contributor

To me it's just Crazy the CA Prop 65, If California is Soooo! concern about people getting Cancer or Causing Birth defects etc,etc. Then they need to Stop selling Cigarettes, Liquor, a lot of Food products. And last but not Least Marijuana which is ok I guess because it brings in Millions of Dollars in tax revenue. Woman Frustrated

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Under Customer Care there is a discussion on this as poster cannot receive her jeans she ordered from Q and another lady a top she ordered  - very frustrating maybe Q wondering if it is possible for Q to post list of items not allowed to be shipped to CA save a lot of hassle.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

To me it's just Crazy the CA Prop 65, If California is Soooo! concern about people getting Cancer or Causing Birth defects etc,etc. Then they need to Stop selling Cigarettes, Liquor, a lot of Food products. And last but not Least Marijuana which is ok I guess because it brings in Millions of Dollars in tax revenue. Woman Frustrated

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Proposition 65 (formally titled The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986) is a California law passed by direct voter initiative in 1986 by a 63%–37% vote. Its goals are to protect drinking water sources from toxic substances that may cause cancer and birth defects and to reduce or eliminate exposures to those chemicals generally, for example in consumer products, by requiring warnings in advance of those exposures.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Being perfect must be a heavy burden.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The amendment to Prop 65 is long overdue. Instead of just issuing a warning, now a company must indicate exactly what chemical is the cause for such warning. Before, a consumer had no idea whether it was lead or something else.

There's nothing stupid about Prop 65. It just needed some fine-tuning. As for companies confused about the new change?

Well, they've had at least two years to update. I don't feel some for them now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

California is a huge market, any company willing to write it off based on a warning label didn't do much business there to begin with. QVC will find a way to continue to do business in California, they just opened up new shipping locations here. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well it's certainly true that the age that we die is not as long as some other countries. 

Has life expectancy in Ca increased since passing prop 65? 

If so, that would be a good indicator of a job well done despite its annoyances.   

But if life expectancy has not increased since 1986, I think Ca should stick a sock in it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Well it's certainly true that the age that we die is not as long as some other countries. 

Has life expectancy in Ca increased since passing prop 65? 

If so, that would be a good indicator of a job well done despite its annoyances.   

But if life expectancy has not increased since 1986, I think Ca should stick a sock in it.  

@puttypiesmom, assuming your figures are right, you might consider that the lack of an increase in life expectancy could be driven by factors unrelated to the goals of Prop 65.

Besides, Prop 65 is only a warning for consumers. If they choose not to pay attention to it, that's on them.

Companies are, however, prohibited from "knowingly discharging significant amounts of listed chemicals into sources of drinking water."

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/about-proposition-65

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

'Right or wrong', I have a feeling that just about everything new-ish has some sort of chemical on it.

'The secret is' to first wash our hands before touching food, no matter which state we live in.

Lead, anti-mildew/moth/pests sprays, etc., etc.

I always wash new clothing items before wearing.

Be careful with babies' and children's items/clothing/bedding.  Wash in very mild soap first. Don't add more chemicals over chemicals.

The best of luck to all.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).