Highlighted
Honored Contributor

CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

It is not clear to me why QVC is not shipping some items to California.  As I read the article linked below, it seems a warning is required, but it does not mention items should not be shipped.

Does anyone know if this is QVC's interim solution until they figure out what warnings to post?

There are other articles if one cares to search.

https://www.huntonnickelreportblog.com/2018/07/new-california-proposition-65-warning-regulations-wha...

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CA Prop 65 and QVC not shipping items

@HomegirlHave you ordfered similar items from other companies and had them shipped into the state?

Seems as if there's something creating legal liability that isn't all that clear if a company is willing to forego sales.

Prop 65 doesn't affect me, but over the years some things I've read about it strike me as bizarre.  One I remember was that a suitcase  might cause cancer.  Really?  Seems to me we would have solved the world's overpopulation if all the warnings actually targeted serious dangers.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So far no other company  -- although since the 8/30 date just passed, perhaps that's why, @millieshops

It really does seem to me that a warning is all that's needed.  

I hope someone familiar with the facts will chime in as to what exactly has changed before and after 8/30/18.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I live in California, Prop 65 is not a new law. I once ordered a pair of Ryka tennis shoes and QVC had printed the Prop 65 warning on the shipping document. I figured that the metal surtounding the string holes may have contained lead. I did not ship them back. So any shipping problems would lie elsewhere.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if QVC does not want to post the warnings, instead just chosing not to ship the items to certain states.

Knowing that some people will not read the warnings and see it when the item arrives and then return, or

reading the warning and decide not to purchase!

However, there are many items that QVC has sold in the past that when receiving, I noticed the California prop65 warning and wished that QVC had stated this in the description! I returned those.

QVC stopped indicating which country something was made in (unless sometimes the USA!)

and they also have never stated that something has the California prop65, until you see it on the item.

It is not in their interest to publish this.

But since the change in warnings, they will have to or just chose not to ship.

I appreciate a company that is upfront and honest about where their items come from and what they are made of!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@HomegirlStrange! 

The only other thing you might try is a call to your local state representative's office to ask if they know why a company like QVC might think they can't ship into CA.  I've had good luck doing that elsewhere -  no idea how CA's legislature is set up, so my suggestion is just a maybe.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Chessylady wrote:

I live in California, Prop 65 is not a new law. I once ordered a pair of Ryka tennis shoes and QVC had printed the Prop 65 warning on the shipping document. I figured that the metal surtounding the string holes may have contained lead. I did not ship them back. So any shipping problems would lie elsewhere.

it is not a new law, BUT the newest portion of the law had to be in effect and enforced by the end of august 2018. now manufacturers have to comply with that law if they want to ship certain items to california. more specific warning labels have to be posted and/or attached to the items. it is going to be a while before some of the manufacturers/companies will be able to comply with this.

if you want some items, the easiest to get them is to ship them to a friend or family member outside of california and have them ship the items to you.

Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand. - Dr. Seuss
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not that worried. In all the years of ordering from QVC, that was the only time I received the warning. Let's hope that Ryka has cleaned up their act. It seems to me that QVC has an obligation to refund to the customer if the item is not shipped timely. I believe there is a law that if a mail order item is not shipped within thirty days, they need to refund. That is why QVC does not bill your card until shipped on advance orders. Based on the link, regulations with new changes were approved two years ago so companies had plenty of time to program their computers with new messages.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I wonder if QVC does not want to post the warnings, instead just chosing not to ship the items to certain states.

Knowing that some people will not read the warnings and see it when the item arrives and then return, or

reading the warning and decide not to purchase!

However, there are many items that QVC has sold in the past that when receiving, I noticed the California prop65 warning and wished that QVC had stated this in the description! I returned those.

QVC stopped indicating which country something was made in (unless sometimes the USA!)

and they also have never stated that something has the California prop65, until you see it on the item.

It is not in their interest to publish this.

But since the change in warnings, they will have to or just chose not to ship.

I appreciate a company that is upfront and honest about where their items come from and what they are made of!

I think you're quite right, @on the bay  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Chessylady wrote:

No, of course it's not a new law.  No one is saying that.

There are changes and updates that are now in effect.  That's what this is about, not the law that was passed originally in 1986.

Read the linked article that references updates.