Honored Contributor

Re: CA Fires Day 12 Home Again

@dulwich  You have no power....do you have water?  Do you have a generator? Any idea when power might be restored?  You are so strong❤️ I hope you get things squared away so you are at least comfortable.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden She said in her first post her water is contaminated.

@dulwich my friend, I'm so happy you are home, and that you had a home to go back to, dirty or not. It must feel wonderful to be home again, with everyone safe, esp when so many homes around you were destroyed.

As for the poster (Mz iMac perhaps it was?) who mentioned a cleaning service,
perhaps during a pandemic having strange people in is not a good idea.

Dulwich is a smart lady and I give her credit for having a better grip on her situation than we do, so how about we be supportive and remember that unasked for advice is unwanted advice.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@SeaMaidenShe said in her first post her water is contaminated.

@dulwichmy friend, I'm so happy you are home, and that you had a home to go back to, dirty or not. It must feel wonderful to be home again, with everyone safe, esp when so many homes around you were destroyed.

Dulwich is a smart lady and I give her credit for having a better grip on her situation than we do, so how about we be supportive and remember that unasked for advice is unwanted advice.

@Pearlee, Everyone here is routing for the OP. All the posts have been very well-intended and positive. Shouldn't we leave it at that?  

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@dulwich ,

I am so glad you are home. We have been in your position.

One thing we did even with the serious drought was to hose off the perimiter of the  house so we could enter and go to garbage etc with out tracking. We swiffered the ceilings and walls then vacuumed as much of those things we could reach. The window sills were ghastly.

We did invest in two of the dyson air purifiers. They were filthy very quickly.

We didn't hire anyone as anyone in the cleaning business was already swamped and we would have had to wait.

Take your time. One room at a time.

I am thinking about you. It is a daunting chore. But it is home. 

Honored Contributor

Sleep well tonight.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Here is a question I will just throw out there....does homeowners insurance cover the clean up from the fires....the damage from smoke....ash etc?  

Respected Contributor

@hennypenny  You are so right the ceilings and walls swiffering great idea on it now thank you.  Yes, the window sills and our plantation blinds are unbelievably dirty.

No not hiring anyone we are getting there - our power is good and been informed just now water will be o.k. within few hours in our area.

After the beach house this feels like a mansion and, of course, not so many bodies!  As you say it is home.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3. Would you please stop finding fault with my posts? I asked you to please stop it the other day. Now please just stop - every post you post to me consists of some type of criticism for what I've written. Enough already trying to control what I post.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden   Not sure.  Lots of people here are being told 'act of G-d' - as fires caused by lightning.  e,g.

One neighbor a family with 3 children under 6 y.o. - whose house totally burned  - their insurance have given her $400,00 towards the rebuild but must be same footage of house as burned no larger also  $5,000 per month for a rental (not sure for how long) and $30,000 to purchase immediate needs e,g, beds, linens, children's clothing, etc.  The place they have rented is unfurnished and quite a long way from where they used to live as everything here is now rented.  

746 homes burned so you can imagine rentals hard to find.

I guess every insurer is different- thank goodness we are nit having to make any claims.

Sitting here typing all I can hear are helicopters and fire engines kind of scarey hope all is well please no more evacuations.  

fire 39% contained, over 2,000 firemen still out there now houses burned 861 just on news.  

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@SeaMaidenShe said in her first post her water is contaminated.

@dulwichmy friend, I'm so happy you are home, and that you had a home to go back to, dirty or not. It must feel wonderful to be home again, with everyone safe, esp when so many homes around you were destroyed.

@Pearlee Mz iMac merely said she herself would be tempted to call a cleaning service first thing...I didn't see her or anyone giving "unwanted advice."  Everyone who has been posting to Dulwich has been extremely supportive.

I'm sure @dulwich is smart enough to respond on her own to anyone she feels is out of line.