Respected Contributor

CA Fires Day 12 Home Again

[ Edited ]

We went green means we can go home today,  found out last night and we are now back home yahoo!

Ash, ash, ash, o.m.g. must notuse blowers, sweep, DH looks like a ghost out there a sweeping.  Must use bottled water to drink, brush teeth water contaminated not sure yet with what but 'working on it'.  T.V, WiFi all on.

Cannot believe how dusty, grimey, house feels as all windows, doors shut but cleaning and unpacking,  Animals delighted to be home and all now on one cleaned deck.  My plants all blooming none dead and no water for 12 days.  So much cleaning still to do.  Air quality good.

On way into town noticed banners, flags, placards hanging from every railing, tree, whatever saying Big Thankyou to Firemen/Police.  So many fire trucks from all over never seen so many lined up everywhere as fire still going.  Every hotel labeled with  'crews sleep here'.

Sun is out, I have a cuppa tea, a very dirty house, but home again, home again, jiggetty jig.  McDonald's for dinner drive thru.  Life is good!

Honored Contributor

Re: CA Fires Day 12 Home Again

@dulwich 

Happy to know you are home safely!

Take it easy with the cleaning, as my GrandMom used to say, it will just get dirty again.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@dulwich  I have been following your updates.  Happy to hear that you & fam are all safe & your house untouched by the fire.

How did your house get all grimy & dusty if windows & doors were closed?  Would it would have helped if you had your furniture covered w/sheets?

Regarding your plants:  I thought "ash" helps to fertilize soil.  Reason why your plants survived w/o water for 12 days?

Me, I would have been so overwhelmed, my first phone call would have been to a deep cleaning houskeeping crew.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@dulwich Great news and thanks to all the firefighters (don't forget the female firefighters as well) who work so tirelessly to protect us.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac Having lived in So. Cal. for many years I recall some years back when there were fires burning in Orange County and the smoke and ash drited north to Torrance/South Bay. It IS possible for stuff to seep in through closed windows.

I haven't been in Dulwich's situation so I have no idea who my first call would have been to. Maybe to relatives to let them know I was safe?

Respected Contributor

@dulwich  So glad to hear you’re all safe and back to your home 🏡 

Esteemed Contributor

How wonderful for you to be able to return.  Can not even imagine the cleanup.  The babies must be happy to be back on their deck too.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich 

So happy to hear you are home safe and sorry about the mess

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

So wonderful for you!  I'd come and help you from NC if I could! 

Stay safe!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@dulwich    So glad you are home safe.   What a feeling just to be ABLE to go home.  Stay well.  Thinking of you.