Honored Contributor

Re: CA Bans New Fur Sales and Most Animals From Circus Performances

@Porcelain wrote:

@september wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Who wears fur in California anyway? It's not the Arctic.

California is a huge state with many different climates.  Right now, it's 41 degrees at my business location in the mountains.   Temps in the teens are common in winter months 

I was just in the mountains, in Montana, a few weeks ago. No one wore fur except the big horn sheep. People dressed sporty.

I was responding to the "not the Arctic" portion of your post, and pointing out that it does indeed get cold enough in parts of CA for fur garments.

I don't see how what people wear in Montana in September, is relevant.  

Honored Contributor

Congratulations to California!!  One down, forty nine more to go.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Some fur trimmed clothing from China labeled "faux" is actually dog/cat fur. I don't buy it any longer knowing that there are no regulations on animal treatment in China. At first I thought maybe they collected the animal's fur and then realized that's probably not how they do it.

So CA is fine with selling cat and dog fur - since they specifically exclude these in this law?

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Some fur trimmed clothing from China labeled "faux" is actually dog/cat fur. I don't buy it any longer knowing that there are no regulations on animal treatment in China. At first I thought maybe they collected the animal's fur and then realized that's probably not how they do it.

So CA is fine with selling cat and dog fur - since they specifically exclude these in this law?

Where did you pick that up from my post informing posters that many clothing items from China contain dog and cat fur?

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Where did you pick that up from my post informing posters that many clothing items from China contain dog and cat fur?

"The fur ban doesn't apply to used products or those used for religious or tribal purposes. And it excludes the sale of leather, dog and cat fur, cowhides, deer, sheep and goat skin and anything preserved through taxidermy."

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu :  I don't read it as "no leather", just no fur.  Interesting that they excluded dog and cat fur (I've seen that used in clothing and purses--ugh!).

Honored Contributor

Didn't realize California was that cold!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

"The fur ban doesn't apply to used products or those used for religious or tribal purposes. And it excludes the sale of leather, dog and cat fur, cowhides, deer, sheep and goat skin and anything preserved through taxidermy."

And? I didn't write that blurb in quotations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain :  The emu commercials were shot at Universal Studios on their city lot town square (where parts of "Back to the Future" were shot).

Honored Contributor

p

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dex 

I know it's baby steps, but better than no steps at all, IMO.

But I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the ban excludes dog and cat fur?

I fail to see the logic there.

@KingstonsMom.  Sounds like it's okay to kill your cat and make a neck scarf out of it.  This is good example of government running amuck.  Sounds like it wasn't well thought through.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment