Honored Contributor

Re: CA Bans New Fur Sales and Most Animals From Circus Performances

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Who wears fur in California anyway? It's not the Arctic.

@Porcelain 

Many Hollywood celebrities wear fur, especially at red carpet events.

Jennifer Lopez and the Kardashians are accosted pretty often by anti-fur activists, for their love of wearing real fur.

They didn't make it illegal to wear. So I'm sure the Kardashians will continue as they please. I'm sure they don't find it as silly as I do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dex 

I know it's baby steps, but better than no steps at all, IMO.

But I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the ban excludes dog and cat fur?

I fail to see the logic there.

@KingstonsMom   It mentioned taxidermy, so I'm assuming that's why it excludes dog and cat fur.  Some people actually want to have their pets taxidermied (not sure that's a word) after they've passed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

California is a huge state with many different climates.  Right now, it's 41 degrees at my business location in the mountains.   Temps in the teens are common in winter months 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

You could be right, I hadn't thought about that.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I think CA has bigger fish to fry right now.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

California is a huge state with many different climates.  Right now, it's 41 degrees at my business location in the mountains.   Temps in the teens are common in winter months 

I was just in the mountains, in Montana, a few weeks ago. No one wore fur except the big horn sheep. People dressed sporty.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

@KingstonsMom I think that the love of our domestic Pets is so strong that there would not be any market for such a vile product.I have never seen dog or cat hair goods made in the USA.I would hope that none would be imported.

I recalled looking at a leather bag a while back on HSN and then reading what the leather was.  It was imported. Well I'm still not sure which animals were used to make the leather, so decided not to buy the bag.  I'm not saying it was dog or cat fur, but my point is sometimes the details of what you are actually buying are sketchy. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, did CA ban horse racing too?  Or is it about the money the state gets?  And did they also ban animals used in making movies?  Did they do that?   Or is that about the money and influence rather than the animals? 

I'd say this is a tell-tale moment for that.   No, sounds more like a publicity stunt to me. 

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@dex wrote:

@KingstonsMom I think that the love of our domestic Pets is so strong that there would not be any market for such a vile product.I have never seen dog or cat hair goods made in the USA.I would hope that none would be imported.

I recalled looking at a leather bag a while back on HSN and then reading what the leather was.  It was imported. Well I'm still not sure which animals were used to make the leather, so decided not to buy the bag.  I'm not saying it was dog or cat fur, but my point is sometimes the details of what you are actually buying are sketchy. 

You are right but you chose not to purchase so that is a win for animal rights.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

With all the problems CA has this is a priority?  

@CelticCrafter 

At least they are doing something actually positive for a change which is a small step in the right direction....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”