Honored Contributor

Re: CA Bans New Fur Sales and Most Animals From Circus Performances

@ILTH wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Much of this pretty selective and that really makes me question motives. Circus animals are banned but not rodeos? 

Rodeos are an abomination.  So is animal racing. 

Agreed.  I have never been to a rodeo, although there is a big one nearby every year.  And that may become more restricted or even banned in the future. 

why do people criticize progress, complain it isn't enough?  The new law is a step in the right direction. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't generally consider myself particularly naive, but I actually opened this thread thinking that it would be primarily positive, given all that I read here about animal rights.

It's just one law. It doesn't mean that the state is overlooking other problems. And if you aren't about what's included or no included, remember that creating a bill that will eventually become law is all a matter of compromising.

I'm proud of my state for taking this step.

Wonder who would have wanted to exclude cat and dog fur as part of a compromse - and why anyone who actually cared about animals would agree to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't generally consider myself particularly naive, but I actually opened this thread thinking that it would be primarily positive, given all that I read here about animal rights.

It's just one law. It doesn't mean that the state is overlooking other problems. And if you aren't pleased about what's included or not included, remember that creating a bill that will eventually become law is all a matter of compromising.

I'm proud of my state for taking this step.

@suzyQ3  There are the usual suspects on these boards that love to criticize California and Californians.  They never disappoint!  They swoop in like birds of prey.

I'm proud of our state too.

Super Contributor

I ❤️California. Lived there for 8 years while my husband was in Air Force in Northern California. Beautiful state,Beautiful people!

Regular Contributor

wow, don't even know where to start. I am 73 years old, born and raised in California. Have lived about equal number of years  in both NoCal and So Cal. The ignorance and "smugness" of several California trashers is astounding. And, yes, I'm talk'n to you,Sandy Sparkles. Celtic Crafter, Camo Girl, Sydney H and Porcelean. How many of you live/ lived here? Perhaps you are unaware that the "priorities", which you don't list, are of huge concern and are trying to be addressed each and everyday. Assume you are talking about home

lessness, for one?  What is YOUR solution?. Apparently those qualities which you bash are what drives them here,😀. 
let us know when you figure it out. Sandy Sparkles, I don't agree with wearing fur at all,  it we have mainly started a groundswell so states like yours can hop on board, as they all seem to with a lot of things having their innovation here. Perhaps you are unaware of the technology originating in Silicon Valley? Apple, anyone), or the contributions to space exploration? (Cal-Tech), or the top colleges and Universities. (Berkeley, Stanford), medical schools? (Loma Linda,, City of Hope,  University of So Cal) the amazing parks....Yosemite, Sequoia, Redwood National Park... beautiful, diverse cities,,,San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, heard of that?  Perhaps you are unaware that our previous governor, like him or not, has left the state with a huge budget surplus...how your states doing? The reason you even have the so- called "ammunition" to fire your mostly ignorant comments  is that this state actually tries to make life better and "puts itself out there " for criticism. Of course there are misses and absurdities,  it we try, fail, we shake our heads and go on. Which state do you offer as being "better" or "less crazy" than Calif with its absolute dedication to improving air quality, car emissions, clean fuel, concern for the ocean and its creatures. Which other state is the third largest economy in the WORLD?  Must be doing SOMETHING right. Suppose you never watch a Hollywood produced movie, or drink a nice bottle of Napa wine....among the MANY vineyards here. Oreat almonds, or avocados or artichokes. Not to mentions the cultural opportunities available....the deYoung Museum, the San Francisco opera, the Norton Simon museum, the Getty Villa and Museum, the LA Philharmonic, the Hollywood Bowl, I am mentioning the big, well-known ones that "tourists" and out of state critics visit; can't even begin to list the small, little known gems that we poor people who have to live in this wretched state know of. For those who criticized the inaction re horse racing deaths: I totally agree with you that it is hideous and must be stopped. Have you seen the protestors outside Hollywood Park, or heard write ups from animal groups and meetings with various oversight people controlling this travesty of a "sport". Lest we forget, Ca is not the ONLY state that races horses. Where is the outrage in New York, or other cities hosting the Triple Crown and having breeding farms to feed the huge maw of racing venues.  What is YOUR state  doing.  If anything, then God bless,,but we need help. 

I, along with Isabel Ar her, feel huge pride in and love for, my state. Those of you who want to belittle and snidely laugh, feeling superior to all the "fruits and "nuts (yes, I'm well aware of that tired, weak joke, please, go right ahead. You obviously wpuld feel out of place here and certainly not comfortable stepping outside of your cocoon to be one of those who at least make a start, an effort, to change things for the better. After all, how crazy was Alexander Fleming when he decided to put mold on an open wound?  Turned out pretty well for all of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

Heart my beautiful state of California!

I was born and raised here, and have lived here for my whole entire life, and can't even begin to imagine living anywhere else!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@dodies wrote:

wow, don't even know where to start. I am 73 years old, born and raised in California. Have lived about equal number of years  in both NoCal and So Cal. The ignorance and "smugness" of several California trashers is astounding. And, yes, I'm talk'n to you,Sandy Sparkles. Celtic Crafter, Camo Girl, Sydney H and Porcelean. How many of you live/ lived here? Perhaps you are unaware that the "priorities", which you don't list, are of huge concern and are trying to be addressed each and everyday. Assume you are talking about home

lessness, for one?  What is YOUR solution?. Apparently those qualities which you bash are what drives them here,😀. 
let us know when you figure it out. Sandy Sparkles, I don't agree with wearing fur at all,  it we have mainly started a groundswell so states like yours can hop on board, as they all seem to with a lot of things having their innovation here. Perhaps you are unaware of the technology originating in Silicon Valley? Apple, anyone), or the contributions to space exploration? (Cal-Tech), or the top colleges and Universities. (Berkeley, Stanford), medical schools? (Loma Linda,, City of Hope,  University of So Cal) the amazing parks....Yosemite, Sequoia, Redwood National Park... beautiful, diverse cities,,,San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, heard of that?  Perhaps you are unaware that our previous governor, like him or not, has left the state with a huge budget surplus...how your states doing? The reason you even have the so- called "ammunition" to fire your mostly ignorant comments  is that this state actually tries to make life better and "puts itself out there " for criticism. Of course there are misses and absurdities,  it we try, fail, we shake our heads and go on. Which state do you offer as being "better" or "less crazy" than Calif with its absolute dedication to improving air quality, car emissions, clean fuel, concern for the ocean and its creatures. Which other state is the third largest economy in the WORLD?  Must be doing SOMETHING right. Suppose you never watch a Hollywood produced movie, or drink a nice bottle of Napa wine....among the MANY vineyards here. Oreat almonds, or avocados or artichokes. Not to mentions the cultural opportunities available....the deYoung Museum, the San Francisco opera, the Norton Simon museum, the Getty Villa and Museum, the LA Philharmonic, the Hollywood Bowl, I am mentioning the big, well-known ones that "tourists" and out of state critics visit; can't even begin to list the small, little known gems that we poor people who have to live in this wretched state know of. For those who criticized the inaction re horse racing deaths: I totally agree with you that it is hideous and must be stopped. Have you seen the protestors outside Hollywood Park, or heard write ups from animal groups and meetings with various oversight people controlling this travesty of a "sport". Lest we forget, Ca is not the ONLY state that races horses. Where is the outrage in New York, or other cities hosting the Triple Crown and having breeding farms to feed the huge maw of racing venues.  What is YOUR state  doing.  If anything, then God bless,,but we need help. 

I, along with Isabel Ar her, feel huge pride in and love for, my state. Those of you who want to belittle and snidely laugh, feeling superior to all the "fruits and "nuts (yes, I'm well aware of that tired, weak joke, please, go right ahead. You obviously wpuld feel out of place here and certainly not comfortable stepping outside of your cocoon to be one of those who at least make a start, an effort, to change things for the better. After all, how crazy was Alexander Fleming when he decided to put mold on an open wound?  Turned out pretty well for all of us. 

@dodies, @Porcelain did not trash California.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@dodies    Awesome post!  You have covered many points so beautifully.    I'll have more time to respond later, but could not say nothing at this time.  

the critics will likely ignore your comments, go back into their holes for a while, then come back out to bash, the very next time there is a post that is California related 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@dodies, @Porcelain did not trash California.

I LOVE California. Lived there several years as a wee tyke. It was one of the best times of my life. Stinson Beach, the Redwood forrests. We had rosebushes and the only palm tree on the block in our yard...Seaglass and sand dollars and super kind people. I loved it there and still do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr