Esteemed Contributor

Re: CA Bans New Fur Sales and Most Animals From Circus Performances

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Who wears fur in California anyway? It's not the Arctic.

If you have ever been on Rodeo Drive, you will see who wears furs in California. Animal furs are still considered a status symbol to many. I am not in that majority, but sadly, it is the truth. While I am against any form of animal cruelty, I do not think it's right for me to TELL another ADULT how to spend their money. Perhaps one day, their conscience will be their guide.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Then buy your fur in another state. Problem solved lol..  By the way fur is not a status symbol at all.  People who really have real money, or old money don't flaunt it, they have nothing to prove.  It is sometimes the people who don't have money judge what is status and what is not.

Just my opinion.  If you see any animal fur on Rodeo it is either faux, or an older matron who has worn it for years. Or, they live in a really cold climate, and dont care ..they love their fur.  That is a choice. Spend your money as you choose, I sure do.  If I wanted fur , id buy it.  But for what? And whose  expense.  Here it is too hot for a light coat most of the time.  A good Burburry coat costs more than any fur stole.  I saw a Burburry coat the other day for 6,000,  yikes!  Also too hot for this climate.     I am not sure what you mean, let your conscience be your guide?  I thought thats what this law was all about.

Your post is a bit perplexing. I never said I bought, owned, or liked fur. I said quite the opposite. I merely pointed out that it is not for me to decide who wears this, or buys that. Some people change their attitudes about things everyday for a myriad of reasons. Others may feel bad today for something they once did, or an ideal they once held, and therefore modify their behavior. I have been to Rodeo Drive several times while visiting Southern California and saw enough furs to form an opinion.  I did not have the time or the inclination to determine whether they were wearing "real" or "fake" fur. I said, "I am not in that majority" in reference to those that considered wearing fur a status symbol. I hope this clears things up😊

Respected Contributor

.Well ...,, you know it is California now isn’t it? 

They do come up with some good ones out there .....

Not to offend anyone, but that state definitely has their priorities wrong

and some strange thinking about things.

Like they have nothing more important going on in that state?

Time to rethink their priorities .....

Furs? Circus animals?

Oh come on!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

.Well ...,, you know it is California now isn’t it? 

They do come up with some good ones out there .....

Not to offend anyone, but that state definitely has their priorities wrong

and some strange thinking about things.

Like they have nothing more important going on in that state?

Time to rethink their priorities .....

Furs? Circus animals?

Oh come on!

Please share your state with us so we can give our critiques! 

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

With all the problems CA has this is a priority?  

Agreed, I'm soo relieved I don't reside there, with every passing day.......it's some new absurdity

i am glad you made the choice to stay clear. You are beyond negative and offensive to those of us who live there.  How rude and hurtful

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Does this mean no leather handbags, or did I  read it wrong?  While I am not even a fan of those who hunt and kill animals for any purpose (I don't eat meat) I keep thinking... WHAT IS NEXT FOR GOVERNMENT CONTROL OF MY LIFE.  I simply want to be left alone to make my own decisions. And then I don't live in California but my daughter is taking up temporary residence there. 

It's about the animals' lives, not yours. It would be nice if the animals could decide for themselves.  But,  they can't. I'd bet they'd be for this, though.

ETA

@SilleeMee 

The above is in response to your post, too. 

"Whatever the case may be, fur or anything else, I find it disturbing when the government steps in and eliminates our right to choice."

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@september 

Oh no, you are moving?  

@shoekitty   Yes!  Put my home on the market,had numerous offers in the first two days,went into escrow on day 3.  So obviously, a lot of people do still want to live in this state, in spite of the opinions of people on this board!

my reasons for moving are personal and family related.  I do love where I've lived all these years, and wish the best to the new family who will live in my homeshoek

shoekitty said

we will miss you here, and your posative spirit. .  But you never know where life will take you.  The amazing thing is we adjust and get on with it.no matter what we are called to do. This past summer, as the market was cooling we sold a small home, my moms rental.  857 sq feet!!!  2B 1B. But nice size lot.  Omg,,you could plant flowers from the front door into the back yard.  Lol! We got Plus asking !  We have been in our home 32 years.  Sometimes I want a bigger home with a better floor plan, but I think of packing and thats as far as I get   Better floor plan and ONE floor.  Thats my dream.  But here I stay, and thankful we have been here so long that we dont have to worry about fluctuating prices.  

Honored Contributor

Personally I think stopping animal cruelty should be a high priority for anyone. I don’t understand how anyone can think otherwise.
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well, did CA ban horse racing too?  Or is it about the money the state gets?  And did they also ban animals used in making movies?  Did they do that?   Or is that about the money and influence rather than the animals? 

I'd say this is a tell-tale moment for that.   No, sounds more like a publicity stunt to me. 

Animals on set are strictly watched and regulated at all times. They are not property of the production -- unlike circus animals.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

Much of this pretty selective and that really makes me question motives. Circus animals are banned but not rodeos? 

Rodeos are an abomination.  So is animal racing. 

I'll never understand the mentality (or justification) that thinks abusing animals for entertainment or sport is okay or fun. 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty   Thank you so much!  I have found that most people in CA are very positive....glad to be seen that way.  

I got numerous offers over my asking price.  Then we did counters and I got more!  I probably won't ever be able to afford to live here again, should I decide I want to return 🤪