Trusted Contributor

Re: By not downsizing, baby boomers help clog up the real estate pipeline

As I mentioned earlier I worked my whole life to be able to buy a home.  Renting was becoming unaffordable and every year the rent went up alot and I never really knew if the property / community where I was living was going to be bought/sold/bought , new management, condo conversion, etc. - went through it quite a few couple times.  Very unnerving and uneasy not knowing whether your lease will be renewed and how much it will go up each time.  I also had to pay for water, trash and sewer separately, as well as electric and cable.  There is nothing wrong with living in an apartment - I loved mine - I was in my last one for almost 13 years.  But, now that I own, although in some ways, it is expensive paying HOA, taxes, insurance (never mind my own repair bills), my monthly is still less than what my rent was and I had a 1 bedroom apartment.  Now I have a 3 bedroom house - one level - not big, not fancy and nothing special, but it's mine. Too each their own.  I just think blaming baby boomers is wrong on all levels.  

Trusted Contributor

WHAT!  Don't blame us for those kind of problems! It took my husband and me 30 years of working together plus raising a family to have the beautiful home we live in!  It is by no means an oversized mansion but just a nice comfortable 4 bedroom home which we love and will stay in as long as we can keep it up!!  Plus..It is paid for!!  We are looking forward to leaving it to our children!!  Amen!!Man Very HappyWoman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

apartment rents are going up the roof because of this.  What needs to be done should be to create more apartments for those who want or need to live in one.  Housing prices are obsence and out of control. 

Not everyone wants to own a home and yet apartment dwelling is considered a 2nd class living in the states.  In europe, apartment dwelling is normal and nothing to worry about.

------------

Good for Europe but we don't live there.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I unintentionally hearted this comment by jackaranda. Sorry but I disagree. I loved apt. living in Europe, being in the city with all of it's perks. A wonderful lifestyle.

When I lived in DC while in college it was convenient, in the middle of the action, near the Metro and public transportation and shopping. I felt a great sense of community as in Europe.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Puzzle Piece--  Why do you assume all low income poeple are low lifes or worse that eveyone with money isn't one?  Plenty of the monied are people I would not care to live near.

Well, in my experience of life, things have been that way.  Also, monied people are not perfect, I agree. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

These accountable baby boomers have worked hard for our beautiful home.. we have had nothing to do with the economy or any sort of real estate pipeline.  Our piplelines are smooth as a whistle, LOL ..  Stop picking on baby boomers!!!  It has to be coming from the me me me me me people, LOL ..  Your day will come when you're up in age too.. neener neener neener.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

apartment rents are going up the roof because of this.  What needs to be done should be to create more apartments for those who want or need to live in one.  Housing prices are obsence and out of control. 

Not everyone wants to own a home and yet apartment dwelling is considered a 2nd class living in the states.  In europe, apartment dwelling is normal and nothing to worry about.

------------

Good for Europe but we don't live there.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I unintentionally hearted this comment by jackaranda. Sorry but I disagree. I loved apt. living in Europe, being in the city with all of it's perks. A wonderful lifestyle.

When I lived in DC while in college it was convenient, in the middle of the action, near the Metro and public transportation and shopping. I felt a great sense of community as in Europe.

Morning, @Lila Belle.  Go up to the three dots in the upper right corner of the post you hearted.  When you click on that an option comes up to revoke a heart.  

Esteemed Contributor

AHH...I just realized that jackaranda must be under the mistaken notion that Europeans rent rather than own their apartments.

Many live in beautiful apartment buildings older than the United States.
Esteemed Contributor

We earned every dime that went into our home and we will keep it as long as we darn well want!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

What an interesting article. I will say, here in Southern California, that it's next to impossible to buy a house under 500K (and that's either a condo or a fixer) and that rents for a 2 bedroom house in decent shape in a safe neighborhood start at 2500.00 and rapidly rise from there. 

And, no where do I see building happening at all. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

We are baby boomers and have no intention downsizing.  We own our homes so other than taxes (NJ, ugh) and upkeep, they are "free". I cannot imagine living in a community where I am told what colors I can use, what flowers I can plant or what holiday decorations I can hang. We entertain family and guests frequently so need the room.  When we vacation, we prefer to be pampered.

I guess we'll continue to clog the real estate pipeline.