Respected Contributor

Re: By not downsizing, baby boomers help clog up the real estate pipeline

@stevieb wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

apartment rents are going up the roof because of this.  What needs to be done should be to create more apartments for those who want or need to live in one.  Housing prices are obsence and out of control. 

Not everyone wants to own a home and yet apartment dwelling is considered a 2nd class living in the states.  In europe, apartment dwelling is normal and nothing to worry about.

True... If one can't or chooses not to own a house, then even owning a condominium is considered preferable to renting... 'Your home is your greatest investment' and similar homilies uttered over the years have ensured that renters generally are perceived unfavorably. I live in a condominium and most owners want to trace all the problems experienced here back to renters. While there might be some truth to the notion that renters aren't as invested as those who own, I'd posit that they are not the root of all evil...

And guess what, as I get older and consider possible relocation as my income and standard of living changes I am almost certainly going to sell my home and rent. Why not? I'm single so am not particularly concerned with leaving 'an estate' and really, who needs the costs (and hassles) of home upkeep? Additionally, given that almost anywhere you buy these days comes with all sorts of  add-on costs (taxes, insurance, trash removal fees, HOA fees, and so on) the idea of paying a monthly rent and being done with it has a certain appeal... Of course, if the price gouging on rents reaches the level nationwide that is currently rampant in many large cities, then I guess we all are expected to just go live under the bridge and be happy with it, as we make room for someone else have a place to live, you know, to support the industry...  Whatever...

agreed.  As someone who works and is rarely home during daylight hours during the week, I wouldn't have time to mow the lawn, shovel my driveway, rake the leaves, etc.   I also do not need to worry if something breaks in my apartment, I call maint and they come over and fix or replace it, at no cost to me.

There are pros and cons to any type of living arrangements but I have to say, in my area,  most (MOST) apartment renters do care about their community and keeping it nice.   I pay a lot of money monthly to live here and so do they - this is a nice area, with  a diverse community, and people like it.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

i can't think of anything worse then living in an apt. Neighbors who are noisy, coming and going all hrs, of the night,  loud music, druggies, thieves, let their kids run wild. I'd rather be in a nursing home.

wow, what a generalization!!

thankfully, I don't  live in your community as I don't have that issue. 

ITA, B.

I downsized out of my owned single family residence into a lovely condo.  I couldn't be happier.

Perhaps Sharke lives a depressed area where the only apartments she sees are as she described.  Fortunately, that's not my experience.  My complex is small, immaculate and inhabited by nice, quiet people.  I think Sharke needs to broaden her horizens a bit.

Congrats ! your lucky. Hope it stays that way.

That's the hope--that the area doesn't decline for whatever reason.  Knowing when to leave is vital.  

The same can be said for owning a single family home. 

As I said, I picked wisely.  This area doesn't decline.  

I want to comment on this.  Don't know where folks live but here if one develops or builds housing it MUST include areas for very low income families as well.  Even if you paid premium for your dwelling, you could be saddled with low-life living next door.  As far as leaving, some folks can't or actually shouldn't have to. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

i can't think of anything worse then living in an apt. Neighbors who are noisy, coming and going all hrs, of the night,  loud music, druggies, thieves, let their kids run wild. I'd rather be in a nursing home.

ITA, B.

I downsized out of my owned single family residence into a lovely condo.  I couldn't be happier.

Perhaps Sharke lives a depressed area where the only apartments she sees are as she described.  Fortunately, that's not my experience.  My complex is small, immaculate and inhabited by nice, quiet people.  I think Sharke needs to broaden her horizens a bit.

That's the hope--that the area doesn't decline for whatever reason.  Knowing when to leave is vital.  

I want to comment on this.  Don't know where folks live but here if one develops or builds houseing it MUST include areas for very low income families as well.  Even if you paid premium for your dwelling, you could be saddled with low-life living next door.  As far as leaving, some folks can't or actually shouldn't have to. 

What a horrible generalization.  Low income families are people to be "saddled with" and are the cause of problems in neighborhoods.  

Whatever the case, I don't believe you are correct in your statements that all neighborhoods are required to have low income housing.  Simply not the case in my area.  It's all relative anyway.  My nice condo is surrounded by million dollar plus single family homes.  So I guess I'm the low income one!   Smiley Very Happy

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

ITA, B.

Agreed!  At least renters can easily move if they want to.

Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 Things are relative.  I know over in Malibu, Ca you can have multi-million dollar homes and have low life drug dealers living around you.  It's well known. 

Respected Contributor

well they obviously can afford the homes.  

That has nothing to do with affordable housing for low income families

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@biancardi I think I was too nice.  I should have written low life families. 

Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

apartment rents are going up the roof because of this.  What needs to be done should be to create more apartments for those who want or need to live in one.  Housing prices are obsence and out of control. 

Not everyone wants to own a home and yet apartment dwelling is considered a 2nd class living in the states.  In europe, apartment dwelling is normal and nothing to worry about.

True... If one can't or chooses not to own a house, then even owning a condominium is considered preferable to renting... 'Your home is your greatest investment' and similar homilies uttered over the years have ensured that renters generally are perceived unfavorably. I live in a condominium and most owners want to trace all the problems experienced here back to renters. While there might be some truth to the notion that renters aren't as invested as those who own, I'd posit that they are not the root of all evil...

And guess what, as I get older and consider possible relocation as my income and standard of living changes I am almost certainly going to sell my home and rent. Why not? I'm single so am not particularly concerned with leaving 'an estate' and really, who needs the costs (and hassles) of home upkeep? Additionally, given that almost anywhere you buy these days comes with all sorts of  add-on costs (taxes, insurance, trash removal fees, HOA fees, and so on) the idea of paying a monthly rent and being done with it has a certain appeal... Of course, if the price gouging on rents reaches the level nationwide that is currently rampant in many large cities, then I guess we all are expected to just go live under the bridge and be happy with it, as we make room for someone else have a place to live, you know, to support the industry...  Whatever...

agreed.  As someone who works and is rarely home during daylight hours during the week, I wouldn't have time to mow the lawn, shovel my driveway, rake the leaves, etc.   I also do not need to worry if something breaks in my apartment, I call maint and they come over and fix or replace it, at no cost to me.

There are pros and cons to any type of living arrangements but I have to say, in my area,  most (MOST) apartment renters do care about their community and keeping it nice.   I pay a lot of money monthly to live here and so do they - this is a nice area, with  a diverse community, and people like it.

I agree. The key to multi-unit living is to find the right environment for you. There are all sorts of units offering all sorts of amenities, in all sorts of communities and in all sorts of price ranges...  Part of the reason I chose a condo was affordability, but there is also a lot to be said for not having to manage roof repairs, lawn maintenance and so on... Of course, as an owner, I pay fees to cover those costs. As a potential future renter, to be sure, those costs are, to some extent, built into the rent, but it's a one stop shop and yes, I like the idea of making one phone call when something needs to be addressed. Not even to mention that no matter where you live or what you pay, lousy neighbors can be a fact of life.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Media propaganda continuting to pit old against the young, classes against each other to avoid the real issues at hand. 

None of the other facts are ever pointed out.

The market is flooded with homes that have been foreclosed on.

Respected Contributor

I am not selling now. But, if someone wants my home then have your real estate agent contact me. Any CASH offer that is reality based would be considered! I need a 60 day close though! I have stuff! LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield