Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying things off the "black market"

I was just wondering what the rest of you thought. My dd doesn't have children, but she wouldn't be interested in taking a chance on buying anything, diapers or anything else that seems like it may not be on the up and up. And to us, this does.

I also agree with the posters who said if they couldn't afford diapers, they should have taken precautions. These people are professionas with college degrees, they know where babies come from.

Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to a baby or a child - never take chances that something is a knock off or a second, etc.  Are the diapers made here in the USA with clean and sterile products? 

Sounds to me that the items, if actual first rate diapers, are stolen goods.  Why sell them in a parking lot instead of a place of business?  Receiving stolen goods is or can be punishable by law.  If you know the guy is there selling these things, then you know it's also wrong to do and that they are stolen goods. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Watched my local news here in RI.  Police raided a convenience store, and it looked like they were taking boxes of diapers out of the store!

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

@kcladyz LOL "diaper sting."

@makena

It appears there have been a "rash" of them lately!😁

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@makena wrote:

@kcladyz LOL "diaper sting."

@makena

It appears there have been a "rash" of them lately!😁

Good one!!!!

Honored Contributor

Baby Formula is the #1 item stolen from Walmart, grocery stores and drugstores. I remember when it was stored on the shelves and you'd throw it in your cart. Now, it's under lock and key in most stores (every store that sells it in my area has it locked up). Why? HUGE black market for it. The problem is thieves take it, "cut" it with powder milk and then sell it in smaller containers cheaper than the stores. That said, when raided, police have found that sawdust, ground up paper and many other things are used instead of powder milk.....and this is being fed to infants. 

Diapers and formula ARE expensive; people don't realize until they have a baby. One of my children needed to use a special formula as I could not nurse (infection); the container was 1/4 the size but 3x's the price. OMG...$45 for a small can of formula that needed to replaced almost every other day for months! We could afford it but still....who knew? 

The OP's story about diapers does not surprise me at all. : (

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I wouldn't ever take this chance. If they are stolen, one could be involved in that and even if not prosecuted, could be embarrassing if the media got wind of it and filmed, or if it got out to one's job, family etc.

Also, I'd be suspecting about the diapers. They may indeed be tainted. What I put against my kids skin (and other parts) possibly being dangerous (chemicals etc. that aren't supposed to be there) isn't something I would want to risk.

Diapers are expensive, and I remember sacrificing many things to buy formula and diapers. It is just something that one has to do when they decide to become a parent. Every week at the grocery, the diapers, wipes and formula, baby cereal and baby food were the first things in the cart. If there was money left, we bought what groceries we could for us. Kids and their health and safety come first.

Honored Contributor

Last year I saw a segment on the news about people stealing Tide laundry detergent and selling it. 

Respected Contributor

I see this type of thing on Craigs list.  I wouldn't be interested in buying something hot.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

When it comes to a baby or a child - never take chances that something is a knock off or a second, etc.  Are the diapers made here in the USA with clean and sterile products? 

@Puzzle Piece

For some reason I had an occasion to look up diapers rather recently.

yes, they are manufactured with safe chemicals and this includes the absorbent gel within them. I wouldn't chance this one.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~