Honored Contributor

Re: Buying things off the "black market"

Why would you take a chance?  You may not get in legal trouble but how about having your pic plastered on local news or social media?  It has happened.

Honored Contributor

I'm just going to put this out there.  If this guy can't afford diapers, he shouldn't have had the kids.  I shudder to think of where he's getting food for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

This whole "story" sounds strange to me.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm just going to put this out there.  If this guy can't afford diapers, he shouldn't have had the kids.  I shudder to think of where he's getting food for them.  

ITA.

"Kids are soooo expensive".  

Uh, a condom is $1.

Problem solved. 

Respected Contributor

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck it is a duck.

If it feels like theft, sounds like theft it is theft, black market items " fell off a truck", we as a society all end up paying 

for this dishonesty in many ways.

If it were really ok you wouldn't need to ask about it.

Honored Contributor

I'm getting a visual.  A guy whips into a parking lot in a black SUV, highly tinted windows.  The doors fly open and there's a "pssst.  Buddy.  Over here.  Wanna buy some diapers."  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

"Black market" usually refers to illegal goods, possibly smuggled into the country.    I doubt the diapers fall into that category.    

Sometimes auctions are held for damaged merchandise that was involved in a train wreck or truck wreck, overproduced items, etc.  

The worst scenario might be that the seller doesn't have a business license. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

A Brooklyn, New York man allegedly switched price tags and used the self-checkout station at a Stop & Shop to steal thousands of dollars worth of diapers, police say. Kevin Hargrove was arrested Thursday after police say he made regular trips to multiple locations of the supermarket and swapped diaper price tags for 99-cent items, according to the New York Daily News.

He’s been given the affectionate moniker “Diaper Don” by the local tabloids.

The Daily News reports:

NORTH LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A South Florida man is facing charges after he stole more than $700 worth of diapers from a Walmart, Broward sheriff's deputies said.

BSO spokeswoman Joy Oglesby said Franck-Guy Thimothee, 33, went into the Walmart at 7900 W. McNab Road in North Lauderdale three times this month and left with cartloads of diapers for which he didn't pay.

Oglesby said Thimothee told detectives that he sold diapers of all sizes to women for $20 a box.

Don't think I'd take the chance, but that's me.  I'd go back to cloth if I could afford the other.  Wash, rinse, repeat. LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that while there is a chance these are bought somewhere legit..they are most likely stolen property. I know people don't care as they can save a buck..but I wouldn't do it. You know what it costs for diapers and if you decide to have children where both are in diapers you pay the cost.  As to me if they were legit bought they wouldn't be pulling up in a loaded van. They would use a legit source.

I see often on the Yard Sale sights on Facebook - where they sell "Jail-Broken" Firesticks and you can watch all the programs and brand new movies for free. I think this is horrible. To me it is stealing. One person said that Amazon did a check on someone and found they did not have a legit account and Firestick and received a Cease and Desist Letter.

I guess many think that big companies are rich so why shouldn't they. I don't know ..to me it just seems wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most products sold new for real cheap out of the back of a van or on eBay  are  most likely stolen goods.   I would not want to be a part of that.  Some people do not care and just want the deal.  Shows what they are made of