Esteemed Contributor

Buying things off the "black market"

Just curious if anyone else has even heard of such a thing. I have led a sheltered life, I guess, boring.

DD knows someone who recently had a 2nd child. He was talking about the high cost of diapers, said he was telling someone else about it. He has 2 kids in diapers now. The "acquontance" said that he knew someone who comes to a large grocery store in that town, twice a month, selling brand new name brand diapers, for about half the cost.

The man and his wife go get these diapers, the man selling them comes in a large suv, loaded down with these diapers, and I about sells out each time.

What do ya think of that?

I seriously believe, that if I were to buy anything "black market" there would be a sting, I would be arrested and there we'd be.

Is there a way he could have them and they are not stolen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying things off the "black market"

@happycat wrote:

Just curious if anyone else has even heard of such a thing. I have led a sheltered life, I guess, boring.

DD knows someone who recently had a 2nd child. He was talking about the high cost of diapers, said he was telling someone else about it. He has 2 kids in diapers now. The "acquontance" said that he knew someone who comes to a large grocery store in that town, twice a month, selling brand new name brand diapers, for about half the cost.

The man and his wife go get these diapers, the man selling them comes in a large suv, loaded down with these diapers, and I about sells out each time.

I seriously believe, that if I were to buy anything "black market" there would be a sting, I would be arrested and there we'd be.

sounds dodgy to me

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure that would be considered a black-market purchase.

Respected Contributor

There is not going to be a Diaper sting.

Sounds like he is selling stolen  merchandise.  I would not do it.  If it was honest it would be in a discount store and not in the back of someones car

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz LOL "diaper sting."

Honored Contributor

The diapers could come from a number of places where they have been discounted, auctioned off or sold in bulk for low prices because they were possibly considered sub-standard merchandise, meaning they may have been factory-rejects, exposed to hazardous materials or from close-out sales....you get the idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

This is probably stolen goods. You could be arrested.

or

They could replace the diapers with newspaper in the package. You would be buying nothing.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The diapers could come from a number of places where they have been discounted, auctioned off or sold in bulk for low prices because they were possibly considered sub-standard merchandise, meaning they may have been factory-rejects, exposed to hazardous materials or from close-out sales....you get the idea. 

I completely agree with @SilleeMee.  I don't think they're stolen goods at all.  The seller couldn't come every week if they were.  I would be very afraid of buying sub-standard merchandise like this though.  You have no idea why they were rejects.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Sounds like diapers that 'fell off the back of a truck.'

Seriously, trucks are hijacked every day and the merchandise stolen and resold.  That is probably what these are.

Valued Contributor

It sounds like they're stolen. 

There was an incident a few months back with some warehouse workers loading up trucks of merchandise and selling it.  I don't know how they thought they wouldn't eventually get caught.