Respected Contributor

Buying groceries in Manhattan, NYC

My son just arrived in Manhattan, NYC, to begin working there. He is trying to adapt to buying groceries without an automobile. He is in the Midtown area. Do you have staples shipped via UPS or Fed Ex? Do buy what you can carry in cold foods? Do you depend on deliveries? Any pointers or suggestions for stores would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying groceries in Manhattan, NYC

Wow ... great question.   Not having a car for grocery shopping would be a challenge in NYC, but I bet you'll get some great ideas here.  Can't wait to see what others come up with.

Valued Contributor

I've seen a lot of (and I don't know what they're called) those upright carts with wheels where you put your grocery bags in and wheel them home. Of course, you can't buy out the store, you have to be selective. There's usually grocery stores within walking distance of your apartment.  It's a different way to live, but you get used to it. Congratulations to him. Living in NYC offers a lot!

Honored Contributor

I order a few heavy things, cases of cans and my Premier Protein Drinks from either Amazon or Wal-Mart shipping (no charge with $35. Order). FedEx usually delivers it.  We don't have it available here but Amazon Fresh has a grocery service.  I assume its part of Prime.  I don't know if Wal-Mart delivery serves that area but it's delivery from a store with a charge.

I always wondered how those in NYC schlepp home bags of groceries.  Maybe he needs a cart?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Eat out?  Deli delivery?  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

Maybe @ALRATIBA could help.  She lives in an apartment right in NYC.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I lived in NYC for 17 years. Anything can be delivered. Yes, the grocery carts are helpful.

I cannot imagine the cost of groceries now in NYC !

Frequent Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Eat out?  Deli delivery?  Woman Embarassed

That will get real pricey real fast.

Respected Contributor

My daughter lives in DC and does not have a car.  She has a Trader Joe's nearby so if she walks there she only buys a few things that she can carry home otherwise she has her groceries delivered. Delivery is a way of life in bigger cities and has been that way for a long time not just since Covid. 

Honored Contributor

Remind him not to forget his re-usable bags.  Plastic bags are banned in NYC.