Honored Contributor

Re: Buying and saving for 'good'...why?

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

I inherited a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet from  my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.  It lays in the jewelry pouch it was in when I received it.  

I can't wear it because (1) the clasp is broken, and (2) it's too big.

This thread made me realize I should enjoy this bracelet (that my sister and I gifted to my mother on her 75th birthday).

QUESTION:  Am I looking at a large expense to have the bracelet shortened?  How do I ensure that the diamonds (that I know are top quality) are not "switched" when the bracelet leaves my sight and is placed in the hands of a jeweler?  I don't have a "personal jeweler" so whichever place I bring it will be leaving it in the hands of a stranger.

@pdlinda

Just how big is it?   I would tend to just have the clasp replaced and let the bracelet be a little looser,   Or have stud earrings made from two stones, if that was doable.

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'm guilty of that in a different way. I have a few beautiful tea cups and saucers that belonged to my grandmother. I save them "for good", like if company is here and someone wants a cup of tea. Why I deny myself the pleasure of using them when I'm drinking tea by myself I have no clue. I keep using the same three old ones that have chips on the saucer edges and one of the tea cups has a chip on the lip.

Keep them and don't use them!  You'd feel terrible if one got broken!!!!  It's your stuff!  Do what makes you feel good with them.  

Yes, keep them and don't use them.

Your relatives can pack them up and give them away when you are dead. (eyeroll)

To deny yourself the pleasure of using these cups because they might break is the ultimate in pessimism.  I would use them every day and think fond thoughts of my grandmother while I enjoyed my tea. 

It is reality.  I'd want to keep them safe for me to enjoy having then and remembering her.  I could not care less what happens to my stuff after I die!  Good for the relatives if they pitch them out without a second thought.  Or better yet, GET AN ESTATE SALE COMPANY!  One of God's blessings!  I'd cleaned out three houses and used one the fourth time and it was a blessing!

Honored Contributor

When I grew up, we had church clothes, school clothes and play clothes.

I didn't grow up poor but my Mother said if we wore our church clothes to play, we wouldn't have something pretty for church.

We like to travel and I have nice clothes put back just for trips.

My Mother had some beautiful green depression glasses that she used every day with her china.

I know some people would save them for good but Mother loved to drink out of them because they were thin glass.

I do understand older people saving things.

But I also understand that sometimes the person doesn't like the gift but would never hurt the giver.

Our grown children have wish lists on Amazon. It is easy to buy things that they really want or need.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

My gut feeling about someone saying "I'm saving it for good" or similar is that they don't like the object and/or don't want it, and aren't going to say so. They're trying to be polite when "caught out" by someone asking why they never wear/use whatever it is. That's my instinctual interpretation.

That could sometimes be the case.  But in other cases (my family)...I think it's more along the lines of "I don't deserve to have something this nice, so I'll just put it away for a while.

Oh yeh, I know that does happen sometimes, especially with the generatiin who went through the Depression.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I used to hear that expression every now and then from people who were my parents age who grew up during the Depression. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pdlinda wrote:

I inherited a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet from  my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.  It lays in the jewelry pouch it was in when I received it.  

I can't wear it because (1) the clasp is broken, and (2) it's too big.

This thread made me realize I should enjoy this bracelet (that my sister and I gifted to my mother on her 75th birthday).

QUESTION:  Am I looking at a large expense to have the bracelet shortened?  How do I ensure that the diamonds (that I know are top quality) are not "switched" when the bracelet leaves my sight and is placed in the hands of a jeweler?  I don't have a "personal jeweler" so whichever place I bring it will be leaving it in the hands of a stranger.

@pdlinda

Just how big is it?   I would tend to just have the clasp replaced and let the bracelet be a little looser,   Or have stud earrings made from two stones, if that was doable.

@Tinkrbl44 that's exactly what I was thinking as I read - that perhaps earrings could be made of the "extra" diamonds. That would be nice!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

@Julie928

You said:  I just donated two car trips' worth of things to a wonderful wildlife rehabilitation place about an hour away from me. It felt so good to clear some things out of the house while donating them to a wonderful organization that I just don't want to accumulate any more "stuff."

I said:

I love that idea! I think I'll do the same! To think that so much of the nice or still usefull things I have could actually have a purpose and help any animals in need is wonderful.

I can remember as a child, all the items that were given to my parents as gifts through the years would end up in a special closet. They were items that my parents didn't really like or think were beautiful and didn't have the room to give these items a place to permanently be. I mean we all only have _So_ much square feet in our homes to work with!!

When mom would say one of these friends/family members was coming for a visit, we'd have to pull out all the stuff they had had given us and display it around the house........Gawd!!!!

Honored Contributor

I would venture a guess that many of us are children of Depression Era parents who "made do".........and saved the "good stuff" for special occasions.    Old habits die hard.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

When I was getting my mom's things together for her memory care life chapter, I found exactly what other posters have said:        Beautiful gifts still in tissue paper.  I was sad to see the things I had bought for her being "saved"... I had picked out colors she loved and looked wonderful in.  She thought they were too nice and  maybe weren't deserved.

I gave up trying to understand some of the crazy habits of family members.  I learned early to do what pleases me as long as no one else suffers and my responsibilities were satisfied.  Amen.

My grandmother was the same way, when she passed her hope chest was filled with things she was saving for a special occasion.

We thought she deserved the things we gave her.  She practically raised 8 children on her own, in a 5 room railroad flat apartment.  My grandfather was a lighthouse keeper and was only home on shore leave for a week at a time every 6 weeks or so.

I don't save anything anymore for special times, if someone gave me something they meant for me to use and enjoy it.  I do and think of them every time I use it.

When I got engaged 42 years ago, my brother gave us "nicer" flatware that I only took out on holidays or for special dinners.  About 7 years ago I asked myself why.  We now use it every day, I haven't lost or damaged a piece and it looks as good as the day he gave it to us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A long time ago, I heard something on this line, about a woman who put some things away for "good". When someone saw this, they asked the woman if she put it away only to save for "good", so his 2nd wife could use it. From there on out, the woman took the saved item out of the drawer and she used it. What you saving it for, the 2nd wife? Life is short, enjoy it if you like it and want it. Moths get in to things to and eat holes in them, for crying out loud, use it!!!

Two precious gifts that are priceless, your visit and listening.