Trusted Contributor

Re: Buying and saving for 'good'...why?

@pdlinda----------Check around for a reputable jeweler.  Sometimes, depending on many stones need to be removed, you could have earrings or a ring made.  The cost is something you and the jeweler would discuss before getting started.  You should get it fixed and WEAR it.  It may cost a couple hundred dollars, shouldn't be any more than that.  Best thing take it several jewelers and get prices and your feelings on the jeweler.  Unless the stones are really large, it wouldn't be worth their time and effort to change them for fakes.--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

I inherited a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet from  my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.  It lays in the jewelry pouch it was in when I received it.  

I can't wear it because (1) the clasp is broken, and (2) it's too big.

This thread made me realize I should enjoy this bracelet (that my sister and I gifted to my mother on her 75th birthday).

QUESTION:  Am I looking at a large expense to have the bracelet shortened?  How do I ensure that the diamonds (that I know are top quality) are not "switched" when the bracelet leaves my sight and is placed in the hands of a jeweler?  I don't have a "personal jeweler" so whichever place I bring it will be leaving it in the hands of a stranger.

You generally do not have to leave the bracelet. Just find a jeweler that has a good rating with the Better Business Bureau in addition ask around....usually a friend or family member will know of a good jeweler.

When you take your bracelet in to the jeweler ask them to give you an estimate of repair and parts and if you could leave a deposit for the new clasp. Make an appointment with the jeweler to watch while the bracelet is being shortened and the new clasp put on. I have had it done on a bracelet from my mom and never had to leave it. In addition most good jewelry stores have an in house jeweler for small repairs that do not have to be sent out.

I hope that helps and you will be able to experience years of joy wearing your bracelet. Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

I'm old enough to have heard of "saving for good", and I do practice a version of this where it comes to clothes.

I admit to lots of clothing purchases, but I never wear an item the first time for no special reason.   I would give each new item it's debut at an event.... even if that is just lunch with a buddy.  I find it fun to have something new, and I enjoy having something waiting in the closet for it's turn.

Once the "debut" is over, it's over.

@Libbylady.....with all due respect, we never know when our final day is about to come. So, why not make every day a special day and enjoy whatever makes you smile and feel happy? Don't just let it sit in the closet. Smiley Happy

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@september wrote:

I'm a practical person and give a lot of gift cards too.  But statistics show that many of these never get used.  

So our choices seem to be: buy an older family member a nice gift that won't get used, send a gift card that won't get used, or send flowers.  I usually send flowers.  Maybe the best choice.  

@september...I'll never forget the time many years ago when DH and I stopped at a flower shop and bought a beautiful bouquet for his mother. Took them to her and she told me she didn't like flowers and to take them home with me. Wow. Okay. Needless to say, she never got another gift from me.

I'm sorry.  You had good intentions.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My gut feeling about someone saying "I'm saving it for good" or similar is that they don't like the object and/or don't want it, and aren't going to say so. They're trying to be polite when "caught out" by someone asking why they never wear/use whatever it is. That's my instinctual interpretation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

My gut feeling about someone saying "I'm saving it for good" or similar is that they don't like the object and/or don't want it, and aren't going to say so. They're trying to be polite when "caught out" by someone asking why they never wear/use whatever it is. That's my instinctual interpretation.

That could sometimes be the case.  But in other cases (my family)...I think it's more along the lines of "I don't deserve to have something this nice, so I'll just put it away for a while.

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

I inherited a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet from  my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.  It lays in the jewelry pouch it was in when I received it.  

I can't wear it because (1) the clasp is broken, and (2) it's too big.

This thread made me realize I should enjoy this bracelet (that my sister and I gifted to my mother on her 75th birthday).

QUESTION:  Am I looking at a large expense to have the bracelet shortened?  How do I ensure that the diamonds (that I know are top quality) are not "switched" when the bracelet leaves my sight and is placed in the hands of a jeweler?  I don't have a "personal jeweler" so whichever place I bring it will be leaving it in the hands of a stranger.

@pdlinda....I would look up a jeweler in your area, check them out on the BBB website, then take it to them for an estimate.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

As far as having bracelets shortened...I do this all the time, since I have a small wrist.  It costs $10 or less.  At one place, they didn't even charge me a fee..they said to just come back and shop there again, and I did.

Honored Contributor

You are giving people what YOU think they want, not what they really want.  Some peoppe just aren't good at selecting gifts for other people.  So, stop giving "stuff" to people.  As your yourself said, give them restaurant gift cards, movie passes, passs to museums or concerts or a stand ard gift card that they can use whenever/wherever they want.  You can also ask people what they want.  I do that with my sisters for Brithdays and Christmas; they tell me what they want and I buy it.  Yeah, there's no surprise in that but we are middled women, we don't need to be surprised.  It's better to receive a gift we want.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much, ladies!!   Such amazing advice from these boards!  My birthday is coming up next week so I'm going to give myself the gift of getting this bracelet repaired so I can enjoy it for years to come.

This thread was really a blessing in disguise!!  I inherited some beautiful jewelry from my mom that has been "laying there" in the draw, so this is my "wake-up call."  I will start enjoying this jewelry even if just to go to the market or lunch with friends.

Thanks, again!!