Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying and saving for 'good'...why?

Wow, @Susan Louise I could have written this post .  My mother has done this for most of my life.  Whether you spent a lot or a little you get the same response.  She has everything new in boxes, things she wanted and never worn/used.  Save it. Save it....for what?  Enjoy life and living is my motto.  

Respected Contributor

I think this is mostly done by people who didn't have much in their youth.  Sad habit.

Trusted Contributor

I used to save things as I was poor as a child. Today living in a wasteful society I have a saying "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." But if I havent worn or used something in 5 years I give it away.

Honored Contributor

I can sure understand only wearing certain jewelry for good.

Honored Contributor

I have a good friend whose mom would complain that she needed this or that, so my friend and her sister would take her shopping. The funny thing was , she never wore the things that they bought, that she picked out. This drove my friend crazy. It's strange, my mom loved clothes, and always wore her gifts, my dad not so much. His wallet could be falling apart, but he would put the new one in a drawer.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

"Saving for good" is an expression I've never heard before, but seem to recall "saving for a special occasion" (or something like that) was a comment I heard my grandmother make.

If you want to give them something that can't get thrown in a closet, how about a gift certificate for a restaurant .... or to a grocery store?    People will usually buy food.

Trusted Contributor

I inherited a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet from  my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.  It lays in the jewelry pouch it was in when I received it.  

I can't wear it because (1) the clasp is broken, and (2) it's too big.

This thread made me realize I should enjoy this bracelet (that my sister and I gifted to my mother on her 75th birthday).

QUESTION:  Am I looking at a large expense to have the bracelet shortened?  How do I ensure that the diamonds (that I know are top quality) are not "switched" when the bracelet leaves my sight and is placed in the hands of a jeweler?  I don't have a "personal jeweler" so whichever place I bring it will be leaving it in the hands of a stranger.

Super Contributor

Goodwill is full of fine china and linens hardly used, good quality furniture in a time warp - but pristine like it was covered in plastic - and high quality clothing with the tags still on  - use it now - before you drop dead - your relatives will keep what they want and sell and just donate the rest anyway -

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Apparently the OP isn't as old as me, or she might well understand.  When I was young, money was very tight, gifts were very small, and you were very fortunate if you had two pairs of shoes - one for every day and one for 'good".  If you were lucky enough to receive a nice gift - especially clothing - you would save it for "good".  You might save it to wear to church, or for some special occassion. Sometimes I think you just saved it so that you would have something new.  My former husband received a suede jacket when he was about 27 and had never worn it when he passed away at 78.  He was saving it for a time when he wanted something special to use as outerwear. I know he felt almost guilty because his Dad had spent so much on his gift. I guess that special time never came. But it's how we older folks were brought up and still applies sometimes.

@Perkup I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone in anyway. I may not be as old as you, however, I don't consider myself a young wipper snapper anymore either...getting near 60.

I can appreciate and understand those who have gone through tough financial times...my grandparents from the depression era, my folks brought up during that time, and we as a family certainly didn't live high off the hog as my Dad would say (he was born in 1921).

I remember many meals with horse meat, mac and cheese, and food stretched as far as we could without a single string bean wasted.

We got our clothes twice a year...a new outfit for church, a new outfit for school in the Spring and then in the Fall...every other year getting new shoes and a new coat.

About my original post, I should have just added that it would have been nice to see my MIL wear the sweater we got her at least once in the 3 yrs she has had it now instead of it just taking up room in a drawer. It makes me sad...oh well.

Valued Contributor

I'm old enough to have heard of "saving for good", and I do practice a version of this where it comes to clothes.

I admit to lots of clothing purchases, but I never wear an item the first time for no special reason.   I would give each new item it's debut at an event.... even if that is just lunch with a buddy.  I find it fun to have something new, and I enjoy having something waiting in the closet for it's turn.

Once the "debut" is over, it's over.