Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I may be in your position of having to buy a new (to me) car after a major issue with my 13 year old SUV last week. No brakes at all and garage not sure what to do about it. I'm just lucky no one was walking or driving past my driveway as I could not stop. I was hoping I could get by with this one and have it last longer than me. It's got  100,000 miles on it and not really worth much but hate the thought of car shopping. Anyhow, glad you were able to make a good deal and the car works out for you.

Respected Contributor

My rule of thumb is it's typically $5000-$10,000 above what you see advertised on TV or in the paper for a new car (depending on make/model, of course).  A used car, depending on year, add $3000-$5000.  The price is never what it seems, sadly.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

It's a common sales tactic used by quite a few dealerships.  

I tell them if the "add ons" are so important than it would have come as standard equipment on the car.   If they won't take any of the add ons off during negotiation, then I say you are wasting both of our times and walk out.

There is a dealer in NJ that has dealership for every make of car there is, except Subaru, that adds a "special dealer package" to every single car sitting on the lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I may be in your position of having to buy a new (to me) car after a major issue with my 13 year old SUV last week. No brakes at all and garage not sure what to do about it. I'm just lucky no one was walking or driving past my driveway as I could not stop. I was hoping I could get by with this one and have it last longer than me. It's got  100,000 miles on it and not really worth much but hate the thought of car shopping. Anyhow, glad you were able to make a good deal and the car works out for you.

There are options for buying new or used cars. Go thru Costco's Car Buying Service or AAA's Car Buying Service.Once u know which brand of car u want, Costco refers u to that dealership - where ur helped by the manager - bypassing the salesman. You can still negotiate the price with the manager. Costco also refers u to a lender. Read everything about the car on-line before heading out - so you'll be knowledgeable.