Valued Contributor
Need advice. Found a 2012 Honda Accord at a dealer and plan to buy it. Had a Carfax report on it and all was good. The car will have a 30 day or 1000 mile warranty. Question..should I hire a mechanic to look at it?
Respected Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I would have someone I know and trust look at the car.  BTW... I have a 2013 Accord.  LOVE IT!

Super Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:
Need advice. Found a 2012 Honda Accord at a dealer and plan to buy it. Had a Carfax report on it and all was good. The car will have a 30 day or 1000 mile warranty. Question..should I hire a mechanic to look at it?

definitely!! carfax is only good if an owner reported the accident. if the owner had his own personal mechanic/ auto body person fix his car, it wouldn’t show up on a carfax report. 

Honored Contributor

yes, ask them if you can have your mechanic take a look at the car before you purchase.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying a used car

[ Edited ]

Others have had many problems with Carfax so they said it is not totally honest nor reliable.

As for the Carfax report what you read may not be the whole story, so beware,  and  I always hire my own mechanic who is honest and who I have always trusted to report the true facts as he unveils them to me, when he inspects the car before I make my consumer purchase final determination.

Esteemed Contributor

@chihuahuamom , you will rest easier if you do.  LM

Respected Contributor

There are companies and businesses that specialize in checking out the condition of a used car BEFORE you buy it.  They'll do it at the dealer's lot.  Find one in your area.  Or, have a mechanic NOT EMPLOYED BY WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO BUY THE CAR do the job.  Don't sign any paperwork until you have that done.  Don't rely on the warranty.

Trusted Contributor

YES, and if the dealer won't let you do that, walk away.  Your mechanic should not only check under the hood, but he should also drive the car a substantial distance on side roads and highways.  Around here you might have to pay a mechanic at least a hundred dollars or more to do that, but it will be money well spent.  

By the way, we are a Honda family and love their cars.  I've had two Accords and now have a CRV.  Best car I had was a 2007 Accord V6.  Only sold it because I had a lot of mileage on it and wanted something new.  That's when I got the CRV.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying a used car

[ Edited ]

Definitely have a mechanic check out the car - and he should test it on the street and freeway. If u belong to AAA, u could hire a mechanic that works at an approved AAA repair place. 3-1/2 yrs ago, I purchased a 2012 Honda Civic. The car was leased by one person and I was given all the paperwork. A former roomie of mine is a salesman at the local Lexus Dealership (they own Honda and Acura) - and he went down the street to the Hondal Dealership and selected this car for me - 4-door, grey, automatic. I told him I wanted the least electronics. I don't drive very much anymore - but the car's been perfect. My previous car was a 1987 Honda Accord --- it's life finally ended - when it broke down right near the Honda dealership. I should have traded it in several years earlier.

Love HONDA!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom I would have a mechanic or someone knowledgeable about cars take a look at it, it couldn't hurt. I also think you are smart buying a car from a dealer instead of privately. Good luck with your decision.