Respected Contributor

Re: Buying a minivan .. Do you have DODGE Caravan?

@azgal wrote:

I had one may years ago and it was junk! It had to have the transmission replaced 3 times luckily all paid for by Dodge.

I now have a Toyota Sienna with 240,000 miles on it without any major work except the air conditioning. Knock on wood!

I do all the maintenance required.

I highly recommend it. It's very comfortable too.

=====================

Okay!  This is good information.

I was going to REPLACE my Toyota Sienna with a Dodge Caravan.

Now, I won't.

Thanks!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Once when renting a vehicle, the only thing they had left that wasn't a puddle jumper was a Dodge Caravan. I reluctantly took it.

I rate it in the Top 5, for the smoothest, most comfortable riding experience of all my previous rides.  

But, having seen so many friends and family with Dodge's that were lemons, I had to remind myself not to be sold, enjoying it only for the moment. I knew, it wouldn't last.     

Super Contributor

We have had 3 Caravans over the years and liked all of them. We now drive a Town and Country.  My extended family all drive Dodge/ Chrysler / Jeep vehicles and are happy with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@azgal wrote:

I had one may years ago and it was junk! It had to have the transmission replaced 3 times luckily all paid for by Dodge.

I now have a Toyota Sienna with 240,000 miles on it without any major work except the air conditioning. Knock on wood!

I do all the maintenance required.

I highly recommend it. It's very comfortable too.

=====================

Okay!  This is good information.

I was going to REPLACE my Toyota Sienna with a Dodge Caravan.

Now, I won't.

Thanks!

@RinaRina there are so few minivan options on the market these days- I had a Mazda MPV back in the day and LOVED IT! The Sienna is the highest rated on Consumer Reports. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's all we drove for yrs. Just 2 of us, but, we had the Grand caravan and the regular size vans, think they quit making them now. Just Grand Caravans

we thought well we'll size down to a Kia Sorento SUV. I drove it few yrs. but we just need room especially when we go on vacation.  So, we went out this yr. (good time to buy) and bought a Toyota Sienna and I'm loving it.

Plenty of room in the front to spread out, cup holders galor, deep console to hold your CD's and coupons. Plenty of cargo space in the very back rear

I get tired of idiot people asking "why do you need a big van"? Just because you don't have kids/grandkids doesn't mean you can't enjoy a spacious, comfortable ride. I don't like touching elbows, etc.

Toyota's are rated high also by the car mags. all power doors and hatch lift, too.

DSCN0936-1.jpeg

Valued Contributor

@SharkE i love the pearl coat.  we had a Grand Caravan before with similiar exterior and it's still my favorite.  does your van have stow and go seats? 

Honored Contributor

think they call that 'mica pearl' surprised it showed up in the picture LOL

Yeah, we just left the 2nd row  of seats want more rear room for junk LOL

I got a big ol' plastic , deep container that I keep in the back seat and put groceries and walmart buys in. got tired of digging around the seats of other vans hunting for a tomato or orange, cans, etc. that would roll around

Now everything is in the clear plastic square storage bin. just drinks on the floor board.  

Little tip:  back during the corona scare when you could only have  drive thru at the BBQ restarurants and other places. I put a tray back there and dish cloths and we sit back there and ate since there were no dine in at the time.  you got 2 glass holders back there, 2 in the front and 2 more  in the front that pull out from the dash, for  a total of 6 ! can't have enough glass holders !

We were eating catfish like Kings in the back seat, plenty of room and they even bought it out  to you because they didn't  want U coming in LOL  We ate BBQ back there. I'll remember that  ! LOL  Just bought a new van and there we were sitting back there eating in the 2nd row of seats. ROFL

Esteemed Contributor

I'll take a Dodge Caravan any day. Had a white one for years and got rid of it when it was on it's last leg. We drove back and forth between Florida and Georgia for years.
Respected Contributor

For advice I would recommend feedback from current owners and I thought Caravan had been replaced by Pacifica.  Maybe I am wrong.  I see lots of Honda versions around here.

I drove two minivans ( caravan then Town and Country ) for over 21 years.  We loved those cars.  I was a bit " burned out" on minivan and wanted something different.  DH wanted another.  They were fine, comfortable and dependable.  Ride was great for in and out of town.   From what I have heard around,  minivans are not what they used to be as far as dependability.  Sad.  They were great family vehicles - not oversized tanks that kids can't climb in and out of. 

Good luck.  Buying a vehicle is major decision.

Honored Contributor

DD bought a new Pacifica last year. Great since she needs two car seats in the captains chairs and the other two girls need boosters in the third bench seat. Hers has all options available and she loves it. She also bought weather-tec mats so when it gets trashed with muddy shoes it cleans up easily. Have taken a few road trips in it and found it very comfortable. I recommend and so does she. She has traded cars three times in the past six years trying to find what she needed with four kids...this seems to be the one.